Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Questions about Disc Rotor and Disc Pad replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 PM
HCF Member
Default Questions about Disc Rotor and Disc Pad replacement?

My Honda Civic 1993 GL 1.5 litre, twin carb car started making this grinding sound when I brake so I decided to remove the wheels and notice that my front right brake disc rotor were grinding away and it had large rough grooves.

I can not believe how hard it was to remove the two screws that hold the rotor, so I had to drill it out. I bought a new brake disc rotor and front disc pads set and the person at the store asked me if I was going to buy two brake disc rotors. I said no and she informed me that the new pads will wear out unevenly.

Should I buy the second brake disc rotor? Is what she is saying true? I was considering machining the brake disc rotor instead but I realised I had already damaged the holes when I drilled the screws out.

Am I better off buying a second hand brake disc rotor from the wreckers and installing that than install a new brake disc rotor on it's own?

Where do I get the Disc Retaining Screw that holds the brake disc rotor?

Last edited by honvic; 03-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 AM
HCF Member

Post some pictures. Its difficult to judge the situation without seeing the extent of damage or wear.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by axis11
Post some pictures. Its difficult to judge the situation without seeing the extent of damage or wear.
This.

Also, I don't ever change a rotor unless I'm doing them in pairs. I've had replacing one by itself make a car feel really weird when braking, and if I can feel it, I'm certain it is adversely affecting braking performance, and brakes are one of the few things on a car I feel should always be at peak performance/capability. This is just my two cents of course, ymmv.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You can usually reuse a rotor if it didn't wear down to the metal. But like the other guy said, it works best to put two new ones on and be done with it. ALWAYS replace the brake pads as the complete set of 4.

You don't need to put the little screws back in. They are there mostly to keep the rotor from falling off the car on the assembly line. In normal use, the lug nuts hold the rotor on as well as the wheel.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

Thanks everyone for their help! I have decided to install NEW rotors and disc brakes for the front wheels

Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

I would probably check out the caliper sliders and piston too. If you had grooving on the old rotors, something might be sticking which will just destroy your new pads/rotors.

fyi, the trick to getting those retainer screws out is to use a hammer driver, pops them loose. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more