Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

cv & rack & pinion boot

Old 04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
HCF Member
Default cv & rack & pinion boot

Hey I need some advice. Both boots, drivers side cv and rack & pinion boots are torn. I know I need to replace both asap....but money is tight right now and I can only do one at the moment. What one should I do first? Or should I just FIND the money and do both. I'm assuming it'll be easier to do them both at one time. When I replaced the passenger side cv we just traded it in for a rebuilt one. My brother in law did the work so I'll save on the labor. Can you get a rebuilt r & p as well?

Thanks
J

Old 04-02-2008, 08:04 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: cv & rack & pinion boot

For the CV boot...
Little more money but lots less work to replace the entire axle assembly. Check prices & take your choice.

For the steering rack it's the opposite situation.
It's way cheaper to replace just the boot. AND it's way less work to replace just the boot.
But thatassumes the boot hasn't been open long enough for dirt to enter & damage the insides of the rack.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

Being that the car is 13 years old do you think I should just go ahead and replace the rack & pinion?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

no

Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 PM

You should be able to get a CV joint boot service kit. It is a PITA to do, but it is WAY cheaper than replacing the drive shaft. If your joints are not "clicking" you may be able to replace the boot with no issues.

I would start there. Though, your rack may be toast soon if you don't replace those boots. If you don't replace the CV boots, there is a good chance that the CV joints could seize. If that happens, you run the risk of busting the drive shaft. That is messy and will leave you stranded no matter where you are. Plus, if you break a drive shaft, your "Park" gear won't work and your car will just roll down hill no matter where you are.

On a scale of 1-10 for severity, broken CV joint would be 8. For the loss of power rack is 5.