Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

cv shaft stuck in hub. Help

Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Default cv shaft stuck in hub. Help

Ok guys I have put this car together and I am now working on the front end. Adjustable upper ball joints/upper control arm, new lower ball joints, rear camber kit, both front hubs and wheel bearings. I cant get the cv shafts to budge from the hubs. I have used PB blaster and wd-40. I tried to just pull the shaft out the back side no luck. I tried to smack the shaft out of the hub with a socket and extension(broke hand) then borrowed a 3 jaw puller and again no luck. So that's where Im at now. Any tips or tricks would be great. I have watched like 6 videos on youtube but every one of those the shaft just pulls right out. I didn't find any videos where the shaft was stuck. This car sat for 2 yrs with a bad motor before I bought it. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM

no bfg (big f#$king hammer) to knock it out? That always worked for me. Just tap it and the hub will come forward. Assuming the the knuckle is in the car and the other end of the axle is in the transmission

Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM

I have beat on it with a hammer using the old nut with a socket and extension until a glanced off the extension and broke my hand...That was the end of working on the car that day. I don't understand why this thing wont budge at all.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:25 AM

Ok little update. I ended up pulling the whole knuckle and cv shaft together from the drivers side. Stood it up and filled the end with pb blaster. I then went and pulled the passenger side apart like it should and the cv shaft came right out with just a few taps with a little hammer. I did have to cut the nut off the outer tie rod but I was going to replace them anyways. So on the passenger side I just have to press hub bearing and lower ball joint and that side will be done. I am going to try to press the cv out of the drivers side at work. Im guessing its seized due to the junk wheel bearing being let go way to long.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM

if its off stand it up with vice lugs up soak it with pen oil or br fluid over night you will not be reusing the cv knuckel that goes through the hub if it dosent come apart easy in the AMso get a knuckel and axel and replace them

Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM

The shaft ended up being heat seized in the hub. It took 25 tons of pressure to force it out. Knuckle is junk now also. I already got a used one and will be ordering new hubs and wheel bearings for both sides in the front.