Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

d16y8 swap White smoke from exhaust compression tested good

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Default d16y8 swap White smoke from exhaust compression tested good

I have a 99 Civic EX and 3 days after buying it a piston rod came through the block. long story short, I bought a used motor, another d16y8. I used everything from my original motor including the intake manifold which appears to be different from the one that came with the new motor. It says P2K on the back of it and the original intake says p2p. The flanges appear to be slightly different and the thermostat housing is different. Also, the manifold that came with the new motor wont hold the IACV which is another reason why I just used my original manifold. The car started but white smoke is POURING out of the exhaust and the spark plugs are wet. I did a compression test and got 175 on all 4 cylinders so im assuming my head gasket is fine. I wanted to know if anyone would know the problem or if you have a coolant line diagram.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Chubby Chaser

the reason they were different is because one motor is from a 5 speed and the other is from an automatic,

how long have you let this motor run?
did you use new intake gaskets when you installed your parts?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 AM

Yea i've figured that so far, I was simply stating that to clarify why i didnt use the mani that came with the new motor. I did use a new IM gasket. I let it run about 4 times until warm and would attempt to drive it but it would simply billow white smoke from exhaust and bog under acceleration. I cannot seem to figure this out

Old 04-29-2010, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

man if ur spark plugs are getting wet and white smoke usaly means burning coolant the only thing i can think of is head gasket

Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There is a water passage from the head to the intake manifold at the very back (cylinder #4 end) and like 94 suggested, if the intake manifold gasket leaks there it will suck coolant into the engine through the intake. Also the little IACV and FITV (if equipped) can leak though this seems unlikely since they were OK on the original engine before it blew.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM

i did a comp test on all cylinders and got 175 consistantly while it was warm on each one. i am thinking its something with the IM. im going to take it out and check/replace the brand new gasket again. i know a machinist and may just have him drill the IM from the old motor to take the IACV. my thing is, i dont know if its the IM or if it really is the head gasket. is there any other way to know for sure without taking the head off? the motor came out of a running car with no smoke so i dont see it being the head gasket but i am not 100% positive

Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There's also a chance that you connected a coolant hose to one of the vacuum ports, but I think you'd really have to work at that. Keeping the manifold off of your blown engine should still be good, it was working before.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM

the manifold off my old motor is a little different. it has the "air injection" along the top which the manifold that came with the new motor lacks. anyone have a water line and/or vacuum line diagram for a d16y8? just to double check that i didnt hook anything up to the wrong place? i had hoses marked before removing the old motor so im pretty sure i put em back correct. but i could be wrong. i want to rule everything out before pulling out the head to only find out the gasket was fine and be right back at this step

Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That's a HX manifold with EGR passages on it, for a D16Y5. The EX didn't have EGR I don't think.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM

the manifold that came with the car (p2p) obviously mated up correctly to the block. the new manifold (p2k) doesn't have the passages along the top of the flange. every post I find on that manifold shows people with DIY's on how to plug up the "air injection" ports on the flange itself. but that would not cause billowing white smoke from the exhaust. i cant seem to figure out how to just post an image thats not from a website on here so i added an attatchment. The top gasket is what came with the old motor and manifold. i purchased a new gasket (same as top gasket) and have it in with my manifold on the new motor. the new motor doesnt mate up to the top air injection passages but i didnt think that would make any difference being as the seal around the actual injection ports are the same.

again, anyone have any pix/diagrams of the water/vacuum lines or even a picture of their own motor?

Attached Thumbnails d16y8 swap White smoke from exhaust compression tested good-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  

Quick Reply: d16y8 swap White smoke from exhaust compression tested good