Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

d16y8 swap White smoke from exhaust compression tested good

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM

on the IACV there is one hose going to the coolant passage pipe along the back of the block that runs between the thermo and water pump. i believe that is correct, but want to double check. The 2nd hose from the IACV (closer to passenger side) is a short hose directly to bottom of throttle body. i pulled both hoses off and obviously the one coming from the back of the motor has coolant in it but the hose goin to the TB doesnt. sound right?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Chubby Chaser

yea water runs through it.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM

sooooo why wasn't there any coolant in the other line?

still no pix or diagrams of water lines? i need to get myself a helms manual, can i find these answers in there?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The coolant just makes a little loop. It comes out of the nipple on the bottom corner of the manifold near cylinder 4, into the FITV on the bottom of the throttle body, then out of the FITV and into the IACV, finally from the IACV to the pipe on the back of the engine that connects the thermostat to the water pump.

You can bypass all of it (except where the manifold gasket seals to the head) by putting a new hose directly from the manifold nipple to the water pipe and leave the IACV and FITV disconnected.

Last edited by mk378; 04-30-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 PM

i do not believe i have an fitv. that advice is appreciated but I work at a place with a machine shop and had the machinist machine my p2k auto trans mani (that came with the new motor) to fit the iacv. im going to use my old throttle body as well, from the p2p mani. and im going to scoop a new TB gasket and IM gasket and hopefully it'll work out. Is it possible to have perfect compression on all 4 cylinders and still have a bad head gasket? I havent put the machined mani in yet so i dont know if the problem is solved. just thinking ahead and trying to cover all bases

Old 05-01-2010, 06:18 PM

i had the manifold that came with the motor machined to take the iacv and got a new gasket and put everything together. started the car and no smoke, none what so ever. let the car warm up for a few minutes and after about 10 minutes i attempted to take it for a drive and it started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust again. now it is doing it continually. not heavy but its smoking and when given some gas it becomes thicker. again, compression tested good, im still stumped. checked over coolant and vacuum lines numerous times and am positive they are correct. any ideas? otherwise anybody have a good DIY with pix for a head gasket and hope that that solves the problem, ha

Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM

may i add that i drained the coolant from the radiator and overflow tank and there was no oil in the coolant. i even went so far as flushing everything with water and adding new coolant before waiting 10 minutes to find the car smoking again. i am going crazy over this

Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Chubby Chaser

you may have a small leak in the head gasket that dont appear until the water pressure builds up then it forces coolant into the cyl. try running the motor with no radiator cap, coolant will come out of the rad, but this test is to see if the motor will smoke if there is no coolant pressure in the system.

how does your oil cap look?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If coolant really blasts out of the radiator with the cap off, head gasket is bad. Also after driving for a little bit making smoke, take out the spark plugs and compare to each other. A bad head gasket will usually affect just one or two plugs.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 AM

ok i saw these messages and with high hopes went out and tried it out. i let the car warm up with the rad cap off and as usual there was no smoke and it was BARELY overflowing out of the radiator as the car was warm. while sitting and running and warm i gave the car some gas and as time progressed the smoke became thicker. i tried driving the car again and the same thing keeps happening - it billows smoke and bogs over 2500-3k. maybe its me but it seemed to be a little better but still smoking pretty bad. it only seems to do it once the car has been warm for over 10 minutes or so. there is no blow-by on the oil cap what so ever and the oil on the dipstick looks clean (it is new oil) there isnt any oil in the coolant, straight green. i may have too much oil in the motor according to the dipstick but i highly doubt that would cause this issue. i pulled out the plugs 1 by 1 and the plug to the left, cylinder 4, was nice dry n black like it should be and the others seemed to be black but somewhat wet but i cannot tell with what. mind you the car starts right up and if the plugs were too too wet i doubt it would start so quick

Quick Reply: d16y8 swap White smoke from exhaust compression tested good