Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D4 Light blinks after Solenoid replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Default D4 Light blinks after Solenoid replaced

I have a 1999 Honda civic LX, it has 126k miles on it and it drove fine til one day on the freeway the D4 light blinks, after I got off the freeway it was shifting all crazy. This was only 3 weeks after I bought the car

I get it scanned and the mechanic told me it was a transmission shift solenoid, I replaced it the day before yesterday (with a original Honda part btw) and it drove fine, and just to push it I drove it to freeway speeds and got it home and it ran fine, I was ecstatic! 20 minutes later I went to go pick up a friend of mine in the car and I had the car off, suddenly when I restart the D4 light starts blinking again :\

I popped open the hood and checked the fluid levels, they were fine, I touched the new sensor and it was HOT, can it be because the transmission was hot that is causing the sensor to act weird?

I just drove it again to buy gas for it and I drove it for about 10 minutes and it ran fine, but it is cooler right now (71 degrees right now in Detroit at this moment). The day it acted up it was 90 degrees out...

Any ideas? And how long does it take for a fan to come on in a civic? and does one fan usually only come on? That's how I have it right now idk whats going on with the car

Info about the car
1999 Honda Civic LX
Automatic Transmission
4 door

Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 AM
HCF Member

the fact that the problem has been intermittent the whole time even AFTER you replaced the shift solenoid makes it sound like the actual solenoid is not the problem. Do you have the exact code number? there is a shift solenoid, lock up solenoid, and a linear solenoid on the transmission, all of which normally will get very hot to the touch along with the transmission housing. Have you visually inspected the connector for the solenoid, and the wiring harness for any cuts or scorch marks where it touches on metal?

You havnt by any chance been replacing fuse 15 in the underdash fuse box multiple times?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 AM

I didn't check any fuses for issues, and I drove it today to my university and it seemed to be driving fine. I plan to do a drain and refill this weekend after I get my hands on some honda ATF.

The code was P0758

I replaced this sensor (I believe it's the lock up solenoid)

http://www.aptuned.com/image/cache/d...12-500x500.jpg