Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a K&N air filter makes your car use more gas? - 9/19/2006 11:43:06 PM

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Default RE: Does a K&N air filter makes your car use more gas? - 9/19/2006 11:43:06 PM

someone tell me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, a CAI will increase your engines efficency giving you better milage but if you stomp on the gas the computer can add more fuel because its getting more air. So, you get better milage unless you use that extra horse power?

Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Does a K&N air filter makes your car use more gas? - 9/19/2006 11:43:06 PM

there is a very slight increase in the air going into your engine with a good filter, but it only flows that extra air when you ask it for more power than it had with the stock one. basically at Wide Open Throttle. at the same load and throttle position below WOT, youll flow exactly as much air through both filters, but the high-flow filter is easier to pull air through, thats where your power and efficiency come from. through the motor not having to pull as hard to get the air through. imagine breathing through a pillow, then switching over to breathing through your t-shirt. its way less work to draw in the air. youre not going to breath more air, since your body needs a certain amount, and as long as you can get enough through the pillow, then why would you use more just because its easier to get? thats how your engine works. now if you tried jogging, then you would be a lot better off breathing through the shirt than a pillow, right? at anything less than WOT, youre throttle body is a restriction that is used to control the amount of air flowing into the motor, so regardless of filters, the TB will only let it flow as much as it needs.

in short, you will get better mileage due to the efficiency of the filter, until you start using the extra power afforded by a higher possible flow-rate, then the engine will have to compensate for the more air by adding fuel.

and an actual intake will be better than just a filter. the intake also contains a metal tube to replace the more restrictive stock plastic/rubber tubes, further reducing restrictions and increasing efficiency.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

Wow, I've been hyperlinked! Short Ram Intake (SRI) Cold Air Intake (CAI)... I explained pretty well the difference on the other post

Old 09-24-2006, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

...now if you tried jogging, then you would be a lot better off breathing through the shirt than a pillow, right?...
Absolutely genius way to explain it!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Default Does a K&N air filter makes your car use more gas?

Thank you very much guys! You really helped a lot. I appreciate it!

Now.... which K&N CAI should i get? I have seen CAI like the "Typhoon", etc... or should i get for another brand? should i get a SRI? I would like to get something between $50 and $100 (If possible). I just want my car to perform at it fullest. I don't wanna race or anything.

Another question.... does a CAI or SRI make the car roar (if you know what i mean)?

Thank you!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheMoogly

Absolute truth FROM EXPERIENCE... I HAD INCREDIBLE GAS MILEAGE WITH MY SHORT RAM... I drove coast to coast (NC to OR) w/ my injen SRI and was pushing past 420 miles before looking for gas stations.... I took off the SRI and put the OEM box on and now i am only doing 350 when the light turns on... as for power, I got a 04 lx and it is noticeable but not incredible.

I am buying the CAI from the WestImports guy so my SRI does nothing now. You want it if it fits? I'll check to see if my SRI is for both LX and EX I am sure it is... I just want a little bit for it plus the shipping and it has a hydro shield on it too that costed me another 30 bucks as well... it was only on my car for 4 months last winter. PM me if you're interested...
Buy his. and yes. it will make it sound great, but not overpoweringly loud.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

I bought two $30 SRI intakes on eBay. My stepbrother's 95 Civic DX Sedan is a 5 Speed and has no exhaust past the catalytic converter. I have a 93 Civic LX Sedan with an Auto Transmission. Both I recently got to drive the 95, and I can assure you, lessening the back pressure and the intake restriction provides more power at the EXPENSE of fuel economy. The 95 DX can just make 30 MPG (cruise in 5th gear, same average speed, A/C off!) on the Florida Turnpike when my 93 LX can do 38 MPG in the same scenario. I used to get 43 MPG with factory intake.

Now, the 95 DX IS faster than my LX, being that half the exhaust fell off two years ago.