Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver's Door Lock Very Stiff

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Default Driver's Door Lock Very Stiff

Ride: 2k Civic Si

A couple months ago, I noticed that my driver's door lock was pretty stiff. I didn't think too much of it at the time because I am in Quebec, and the winters can be pretty cold. However, the problem doesn't seem to be going away. Today I was trying to figure out the problem. My passenger door works fine, I can turn the key, use the manual lock control on the inside, no problem. My driver's door on the other hand, that's a different story. Turning the key in the driver's door lock feels like I'm forcing way too much. It feels like at any moment, I could bust the key off. Sometimes, to get into the car, I have to hold the key in the unlock position while I lift the handle, otherwise I can't get in. Other things I've noticed are, from the inside, the manual lock control is very stiff and doesn't really want to move. When I use the "lock all doors" switch, the manual control still doesn't budge, sometimes using the lock all doors switch to unlock will only unlock the doors for a second and then they'll automatically lock back up themselves. I've also heard something that sounds like a slight recoil within the door when trying to lock it period, not sure what that might be.

Anybody every experience this or something like this?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Driver's Door Lock Very Stiff

to start, get yourself a tube of graphite, it has a agent in it to help it spread around the parts, then it disolves, leaving nothing freezable behind. if that does not help, i would think something is wrong with the solenoid, maybe you can peek in through the speaker hole.. whatever you do, do not use silicone, it washes away lubricants more often than not.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM

Where can I pick up a tube of that graphite and where do I need to put it?

Old 02-07-2006, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

any hardware or auto store, but try to get the tube, not the spray!! they are not the same. and be carefull with it or you will turn yopur car into a big peice of carbon paper...
just snip the tip and insert into your key hole, and give a squeez. then use your key , back and forth about 5 or more times, and repeat if needed... do all your locks while your at it. (great for cables to, if you can get it in, no oil so nothing sticks to it,you'll see!)