Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

DTC #15: bad or missing ignition signal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Default DTC #15: bad or missing ignition signal?

Newbie here. My thanks to the board moderators and owners for this setup. You provide a valuable service.

That said, I really want to push my Civic over a cliff. But I live in an area that is only about 30 ft above sea level and we have no cliffs.

This first time I had problems, I took of the distributor covering, and it looked like the ignitor coil unit was melted at the tip. So I replaced it and the distributor cap, and the rotor, and put in new plugs.

Then I started having problems with it starting. I took it to the shop and the mechanic said the ignition coil was shorted! So, they replaced the distributor, rotor, ignitor coil, and the ignition module.

Now, it starts ok, but it cuts off intermittently. Rolling down the street at 40 mph, stop at a light and *clunk*... dead. Usually starts after a few tries. I got smart this time and found out about the DTC LED indicator under the floor mat. It blinks 15 times when I turn the ignition on.

From what I've gathered, that means I still have an ignition system problem! Could someone please tell me what the $@(!@% is going on with my 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback automatic with 1.5L-4 engine? I'd really hate to shell out another 300-500 bucks just to have it start cutting off AGAIN.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tek.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: DTC #15: bad or missing ignition signal?

im not sure how those civics read out trouble codes, but is it 15 steady blinks? on mine(95) it would blink one long blink, then 5 short blinks for the 15 error code. and if its the same problem, take it back to the same place. if they didnt fix the problem, they should be at least part liable.