Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical nightmere

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
HCF Member
Default electrical nightmere

There has been minor electrical problems that have been bugging the hell outta me the past month.... first is the horn is not working checked fuses but havent checked the horn itself.... second is the cruise control never worked since i got car the button turns on but when i press set it doesnt engage... third is my dome light doesn't work with the door option, well actually it does but doesn't turn off when doors are closed. I checked the plugs they seem to all be plug in and working... fourth is the thermostat control doesn't seem to work for example wheni put it towards the feet it still comes out of everywhere which can get annoying in the rain for defroster. These are minor no big deal but they have been gettin me annoyed lately and would like to get em fixed. I would like to hear any info in things i can do before i shell out some money to get them fixed since the weather is getting better.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Default RE: electrical nightmere

from the sounds of it your dash in general is a lemon and / or really old.

if your wanting to replace the guts ill talk you through it.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Horn -- very likely the horn itself. They get rusty. Unplug the horn and put a meter or test light to the plug. Have someone push the horn button and see if you get voltage.

Cruise -- Could be several things, one common reason is there are switches on the brake and clutch pedals that will disengage the cruise when either pedal is pressed. If a switch is bad it will never engage. This is just an example it's one of the easier things to check.

Dome light -- Could be a door switch, this will also cause the "door open" light on the dashboard to stay on, unless it has already stayed on so long that the bulb is burnt out. If you have a 96 to 00 model, the dome light circuit passes thru the radio. When replacing the radio with an aftermarket one it needs to be wired properly.

Heater control -- there are 2 kinds of these manual and power. The manual system has a flexible cable from the lever and the power system has a motor on the air box to control where the air goes.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:56 PM

i know what your going through i had the same problem as you my horn, blinkers, radio all were messed up took me so long to fix it i went and got an entirly new harness was the biggest relief ever.... GOOD LUCK lmk if you decide to change your harness... but dont change it if the harness is still good and not cut...