Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

EMERGENCY Emissions Test Help..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Default EMERGENCY Emissions Test Help..

FUDGE..

broke as a joke...

it took me 5 years to save enuff loot to FINALLY register and title the car in my own name.. ben driving it with the 1997 plate sticker on it..since well 1997.. $200 bucks later at the DMV the car is NOW mine on paper, legit and legal to drive now, finally after 5 years..

but d@m if the madness doesn't stop there.. NOW the DMV (b4 sending my new plates and stickers) making me take my newly registered vehicle in for an emissions test..

Here's my problem, the piece that connects the muffler to the engine of the car has fallen off, rusted out is my guess... Not sure what its called but connected to the mufler is a long pipe that goes to the engine but right before it goes up in and dissappears in the engine, THATS the piece that fell off..

hope that makes sense..

NOW my car sounds like a muthaflippin HARLEY DAVIDSON.. fo reals, it can be heard blocks away, and now all the punk kids in mustangs and ish try to RACE me at every d@m light..

I have to take it to emissions before 2/10/12

1. will it pass emissions like this?

2. what will or can they say to me?

3. SHEEEIT, how do I fix it?

yo the ish sounds rough man, real hardcore like it has a cobra mustang v8 in it or something and runs even rougher, I'm guessin my gas mileage dropped off too..

i have surfed the internet trying to find some info but not really getting much..

ANY and ALL help is appreciated..

thanks in advance

peace

oNe

Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

Lets see some pictures?
If its your catalytic converter that fell off... yeah you'll fail.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

1. Of course not. It's also illegal because of noise, and a safety problem because exhaust fumes can get into the car and poison the people inside.
2. "Replace the damn pipe."
3. Replace the damn pipe.

The "front pipe" seems to be what you need. It starts at the manifold on the front of the engine then turns underneath and goes back to the catalytic converter, the first muffler-like part under the firewall area. Hopefully you still have the converter and it's OK because they are kind of expensive.

Last edited by mk378; 02-08-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

My answers to all 3 are the same as mk378.

However, depending on your state, you'll fail instantly, but may have something like 30 or 60 days to get it fixed.

Another (however unlikely) theory is that they'll pass you if it's an OBD-II car. Here in Maryland, you could probably pull anything into the emissions testing, and as long as it's not throwing a CEL, they'll pass you. I've had friends go through in some pretty wildly modded cars without any issues. But if it's as loud as I think it probably is, I'd give this a 0.0001% chance of passing on the first try.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM

thanks fella's, i appreciate the info and input..

fearing failure I called the DMV and they gave me a 30 day extension..

2 weeks later I have scraped away some cash(borrowed some) and I am taking it into the shop manana...

They want $300..

the good news is its NOT the cat converter.. BASICALLy all thats missing is the piece that connects from the muffler to the Cat.. well actually BETWEEN the cat and the muffler there is some kind of canister? So its basically the pipe right after the CANISTER(that is right after the CAT)..

They said that due to some hackjob welding, they can't jus replace the pipe but need to replace EVERYTHING from there back..

in other words

$150 for that S pipe
$150 for a new muffler that would be required

Does that sound legit to you fellas?

I don't think they are scamming me since I went to 3 different shops for estimate and they all said pretty much the same thing..

but d@m, $150 for that pipe, SHEESH!!

$150 for muffler, thought that was like $50-$80 tops..

OH AND ITS EVEN LOUDER THEN YOU THINK!!!

my daughter knows when I'm picking her up from my moms crib blocks away i'm told cuz she hears the RRRROAR AND RUMBLE OF THE CIVY...

DOH!!

HAVE AT IT GENTS..

I don't really have a choice but would like yalls input!

Thanks!!

oNe

Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The "canister" under the rear seat area is a resonator. It changes the sound but doesn't have any effect on air pollution. A shop that bends their own pipes could make up a simple pipe that doesn't have it and it would still be legal and decently quiet.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM

$300 sounds about the going rate for a shop which needs to make a profit

An OEM B pipe (with a resonator in it) will cost your about $200 from Honda. Same with a muffler. You can buy a muffler on eBay (OEM replica which is what you would get from the shop) for like $75, but the shop might charge you $25 to remove the current unit, and $25 for installing the new one, making the difference not worth it.

Or, you can let us know what year and model civic you have and maybe we can recommend an aftermarket exhaust for you to install your self?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM

haha, wait.. so $300 is a RIP?

my apologies I can't believe it didn't post up my car's info..

2000 Honda Civic Sdn EX with 107,000 miles on it.

Even tho i have the appt set up for manana at 10am, ur idea of buyin an aftermarket exhaust intrigues me..

but I don't think i could put it on myself.. I don't have the experience or worse the tools..

but talk to me main... i guess I could cancel the appt, but emissions is due 3/10/12.. so I do have that time contraint on that end..

let me know whats up!

Thanks again!

oNe

p.s. there is a yellow check engine light on, which I imagine that is related to the busted exhaust?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM

$300 later the car is as quiet as an RC car now!! d@m i 4got what its like to b able to listen to music at normal levels.. or to be able to hear other cars around you at a stoplight.. i feel like I was blind and now I can see again!!

only problem is the CEL is still on.. gonna c bout takin it to autozone manana n c what they tell me..

oNe