Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine bogs under load HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Default Engine bogs under load HELP

Hey all, just picked up a little 89 CX hatch, and the thing runs great untill you try to excellerate more then a steady average pace, or have to go up a hill. then it acts like its got dirty carbs, it just bogs down and if you let off the throttle it comes back to life. I'm a motorcycle guy, and have had no experience with Fuel injectors, So far I've replaced the O2 sensor, cuz the guy I bought it off said that should fix it. The dude replaced the fuel pump before I bought it to try and solve problem. The plugs look good and if you don't bogg it down the engine light wont come on, if you bog it down long enough it comes on. When you look at the ECU it blinks once and waits blinks again, and then waits then 13 blinks. HELP

Old 09-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Default RE: Engine bogs under load HELP

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Have you checked the catalytic converter? If it gets clogged, it'll do that. (no power, and stall sometimes)

Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 PM

I guess there's no quick and easy way to do that eh?

Old 09-11-2005, 10:40 AM
HCF Member

My friend's CRV had clogged converter. He said the engine stopped and did not start at all. I think there was too much back pressure that any flow from intake was not coming in to cylinders. The dealer wanted something like 600 for the converter he said. So he called around and a national muffler shop said 250 installed. He had it done for 250 and the engine sounds louder than before at higher rpm. For 250 he is not complaining, in fact he likes it.

I was wondering, , , Can you rev up your engine in neutral? With no load? If you could then your converter may be O.K. But then may be not.

I would check spark plugs and wires first. Higher the load higher the manifold pressure. Higher the pressure harder to spark. Your engine may be misfiring so bad it dies. ???

I would also check vacuume line to fuel pressure regulator or regulator it self. I am not 100% sure on how to do this but, , , Take the line off at the regulator and cap it so there is no vacuume leak. Now the regulator is at max pressure setting. Go for a test drive where safe and see if the engine boggs with load.