Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Hesitation/Low power

Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Default Engine Hesitation/Low power

Hey guys,
I have a 1996 Civic that has been experiencing problems with hesitation/low power/hard starting. Here's what's going on...
Typically after the car warms up or has been running for a while is when the problem occurs. When I put the gas down, there is a huge hesitation in the engine. As I let the gas off, it will typically catch and start going. Then if I shut the car off, I go to re-start and it is VERY hard starting. Sometimes it will take quite a while to crank and then it will start ok. Sometimes it will hard start but when it catches it is at very low rpm. Then when I shift to drive, it will sometimes die when i hit the gas. So, it's a real intermittent problem but is pretty consistent with the hesitation/low power problems when it's been running for a bit. I took it to a shop and said they "think" it's probably the distributor coil and needs coil, cap, wires and plugs. But he wasn't sure this was it. Someone else suggested it's the O2 sensor. I am very mechanically inclined (aircraft mechanic) but when it comes to cars, I'm feeling a bit lost. Bought a Chilton's so that I could do the work myself, but want to make sure the diagnoses is correct before I just go swapping out parts. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh, I also forgot that the gas economy has recently declined...probably related?? Thanks!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Smile

Hi,
I'm no expert whatsoever, and i only got my 1st Honda Civic not long ago, I have an issue with mine as well, but a little bit diffrent, however i got a very good advice here on this forum regards what could fix my issue, and with these kind of problems - engine hasitates, misfire, no power, - after doing a lot of resarch on the net it seems that it all comes down to (spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor) ooo... and maybe o2 sensors,

as i said, I'm no expert, it's just how it seems to me after my resarch, i'm sure somebody with profesional experties will be able to give you some profesional advice.

Best of luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

usually the O2 sensor with throw a code, so is you CEL on? (check engine light for you n00bs =P) And plugs, wires cap and rotor are never a bad idea with this problem expecially if they havnt been changed in a long time.... be sure to use NGK plugs

Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 AM

Hey guys thanks for the response. The CEL only came on once, when I really mashed the gas and she bogged down real bad. The local shop said that I have a limited set of codes but appeared to be a "misfire on cyl. 2". That is only time the CEL has come on, as the hesitation typically does not seem to trigger the light. Also, would an intermittent problem like this throw an O2 code? I'm thinking that if it's intermittent it might not??

Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Did you ever figure out the issue? I am experiencing the exact same issues & code!