Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty wire harness: cause of inoperative windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Default Faulty wire harness: cause of inoperative windows

I have a '96 Civic and recently both the driver and rear right passenger windows stopped responding to the master power switch control. Once I realized that the rear right window works when using its own power switch, it was pretty evident that there was either a fault in my master power switch or a wiring problem, and not a mechanical issue.
As it turns out, I just discovered that both windows actually do work from the master switch control provided that the driver's door is wide open... so peeking through between the door and door frame I adjusted the wire harness with my fingers-- and the windows began to work again, with the door slightly ajar this time.
My problem now is that I can't seem to get it to stay this way. Once I remove the pressure of my fingers from the wire harness the problem just returns. I'm hoping to be able to repair this myself, as my local shop is very overpriced (they're also a bit incompetent as well) but I'm not sure exactly what this task entails.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Default I have the same issue

I too have power mirrors, locks and windows. I bought the vehicle with the power locks not working and never investigated. I noticed recently that the power mirror on the drivers side stopped working. When investigating I noticed that they would start working when the door was opened wide. I then flexed the harness between the door and car with my hand ... unfortunatly the power window stopped working after I did this... and the window is in the down position!!!

What did you do to corrct the issue? I am thinking of having the door to car harness replaced (if this is in fact a one piece system)

Last edited by eisenberg; 02-14-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You can just pull a new wire through the tube and splice it to the car wiring on either side. The splices should be made inside the door and on the side of the car where the wires don't move.

Replacing the whole harness is not real practical, it's an expensive part and you will need to take the dash out and unplug everything.