Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

First Car - Help? ('93 Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Exclamation First Car - Help? ('93 Civic)

Hey guys, so so yesterday I got my first car. My mom gave me 1k to play with and I've always wanted a civic, so that's what I got. A '93 Civic DX Coupe. Now, everyone tells me it's a good buy EXCEPT my mom. She hates it. Only because It needs a paintjob cause it's sunfaded. It could have been worse. I could have gotten one with primer Anyways, the car drives fine. But I've noticed something my Mechanic said is fine but I want help from people who have experience with this. When it's shifting into Second, it shifts at about 20mph which is fine, but when it's shifting into third, it waits all the way til about 40mph. What concerns me is that I'm not sure if the rpm should be going so high. I sounds sort of like your driving a stick car and are running up the rpm before shifting. Instead of shifting at like 2-3k rpm it feels like its going to 5k then shifting just to get into 3rd. Maybe I'm just paranoid since it's my first car and all, but do you guys know a fix to this or if its serious and gonna cost a lot?

Specs:
'93
Civic
DX
Coupe
2dr
D16

Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The automatic is designed to rev higher before shifting when you have the gas pedal floored. When you push it only about halfway it will shift sooner. That is controlled by a cable from the throttle body to the transmission. If the cable is not working right it will rev high all the time.

Since you just acquired the car you should change the transmission fluid. Use only genuine Honda fluid. The oil, brake fluid, etc. you can substitute but using generic ATF is asking for problems.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Thank you very much. Everyone was complaining at me that it was the transmission but I knew it wasn't that serious because the car drives fine.