Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooding in hatch of 98 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Default Flooding in hatch of 98 Civic

[font="Verdana"]I've been having flooding problems with my 98 Civic hatchback. I first noticed this about a month ago when I had to change the tire, and found the wheel well completely filled with ice! It seems to get in from the tail light area, because when I popped off the inside covers to the tail lights (where you change the bulbs), there was water inside, dripping down into the wheel well.

The weather stipping is still soft, not pulling away, not worn, so I can't see how the water is getting in. But every time it rains, I have a flood. There also doesn't seem to be any damage, cracks, looseness around the tail lights on the outside. Any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2006, 09:01 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Flooding in hatch of 98 Civic

hey..i had the EXACT same problem, what i had to do was take out my intire carpit and get someone to spay a hose at your car wile your inside the trunk throught the back seats with a flashlight..you will be able to see it and hear it drip on the metal of your trunk, where mine was leaking was a tiny hair crack on the edges of the trunk were the water runs..you would never no it tho becasue you cant even see it..but thats the only way to figer out where its coming from, do it..or your trunk will start to rust

Old 02-09-2006, 12:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Flooding in hatch of 98 Civic

My civic hatch is doing the same thing but I havent had time to figure out where it was coming in at. Where the trunk closes isnt there a pretty good size lip where the seal is? Dont know how water would get over it.