Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Default Front end problems

I have a 98 Civic EX with some front end problems.When I turn my wheel I get a horrible clicking/knocking/grinding sound in my front end originally I thought it may be the inner tire rod end's but when we looked at it yesterday it doesn't even look like it got them? But it is hard to see when you don't have her jacked up. So now were thinking it could be the rack? Anybody have any suggestions as to what else it could be. I would hate to go purchase a rack only to find out that's not the problem. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks Candy[:'(]

Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Front end problems

Im sure you have the inner tie rod ends cause you can steer your car. Its not your rack. You have a bad cv shaft. this is a unit that runs from your transmission to your wheels, theres a long one and a shorter one. One on each side of the transmission. There about 65.00 around here and pretty easy to change. if you dont know how get a local grease monkey to do it for a few bucks. Good luck

Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the help. .I'll check that out ..As for gettin a local grease monkey to do it ...not likely. Too many fly by night garages around here [:'(] what I cannot do myself I just pass off to a friend..I appreciate the advice [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 05-13-2007, 05:20 AM

We jacked the car up and checked the Cv and the tie rod's and everything is perfect? I'm getting a knocking in the rack when I turn the wheel back and forth? It's like a clicking / knocking noise even grinds a bit sometimes ..Any way I can tell its the rack for sure? Hate to go purchase one and find out its not it.already purchased an outer tie rod and it appears that's not even the problem ?*^..could be control arm bushings maybe? Again any advice is appreciated...this car is startin to be a real pain in the rear..I've never went thru this much trouble with a car just trying to diagnose the bloody thing. Thanks again Yours Truly Candy

Old 05-13-2007, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

if is a clicking noise when the steering wheel is turned and you're driving, then its very likely the CV shaft. if your stopped and turn the steering wheel back and forth to get the clicking noise then I'd look at steering components. are your front tires wearing funny at all?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Ha ha good question,,clicking both when im driving and taking a sharp turn and when im just stopped and turning the wheel back and forth..If I slow almost to a complete stop before turning obviously it doesn't click/grind so bad ..I'll check the wear on the tires..but I think im just gonna stick a for sale sign on it for now lol