Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel Guage Stuck on Full

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Default Fuel Guage Stuck on Full

Hey guys, I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX 2Door and yesterday I ran over a speed bump pretty hard, now the fuel guage is stuck on full. All my other guages work fine, and I don't think it's the cluster. Some friends suggested it may be a float inside the tank?? I don't want to have to pay to have the tank dropped, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by tyler2004ex
Hey guys, I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX 2Door and yesterday I ran over a speed bump pretty hard, now the fuel guage is stuck on full. All my other guages work fine, and I don't think it's the cluster. Some friends suggested it may be a float inside the tank?? I don't want to have to pay to have the tank dropped, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks!!!

Have you tried running over the speed bump again? =]

Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 AM

lol, i did actually...no luck. i'm pretty sure it's not my guage because it goes back to empty when i turn the car off.

does anyone know what the process for replace a fuel float is?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:51 AM
HCF Member

I believe the sensor is right under the rear seats so you dint have to drop the tank. But in my experience, both time I encountered a fuel gauge not working it was the cluster

Old 10-09-2010, 09:08 AM
HCF Member

Yeah you might wanna take your cluster and make sure the connections are good.
give the cables a nice shake and then hook it back up and hope it works.
And then if that doesnt work then take a look at the float.

Thats what I WOULD DO.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take out the bottom cushion of the back seat and unplug the wires that go to the fuel tank. Turn key on and gauge should read empty. If it does, the problem is the sender. I'm pretty sure the sender can be reached by taking the access plate off under the seat.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM

how do i remove the rear seats?

thanks

Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

There are a few bolts (I think they are 10's) holding down the bottom cushions.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Would this also apply to a 93 Civic? Mine stays on full, and if you take a curve just right it will go down to about where the fuel level should be *keeping up with miles in the mean time* and then it slowly goes back to full after a few min. Thanks. =)

Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes it's the same in a 93. Unplug at the tank and the gauge should go to empty. If it doesn't it's either a bad cluster or a short from the wire to ground.

To remove the back seat to access the wires, have the seat backs up in normal position, and look in the crack between the top and bottom cushions. There is a bolt slightly left of the center (on the driver's side.) Remove that bolt and then pull the back part of the bottom cushion up and out. It will tilt forward and disengage from the latches at the front.

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage Stuck on Full