Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas / Fume leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Default Gas / Fume leak?

For the past 2 weeks I've been getting a gasoline odor in my car. I only get it when I'm actually driving around or reving. I checked for leaks or any signs of dripping from lines but I couldn't find any. I thought maybe I might have a bad cat convertor and fumes are leaking & getting out? My friend also said that maybe I have a fuel injector thats bad and its getting stuck and letting fumes escape which might be causing the gas smell inside the car. I've tried to mask the smell with some strawberry scent but the gasoline smell is too overpowering. Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem, I'm gunna take it to my local shop 2morrow so they can take a look at it, but I was wondering if anyone had this problem and what was the source of it.

I'm not a smoker btw haha

Old 02-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Gas / Fume leak?

Might the gas fumes be coming from around the fuel pump under the rear access panel?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks for reply RonJ, I've taken it to to mechanics and both have told me there are no leaks. Everything is fine from the fuel rail to filters to gas tank. Where is the gas bump on the passanger side, ill see if I could take a look at that myself. Also I recently took my car in about 3 weeks ago for CEL and the code read engine misfires, I was thinking maybe my cat is bad and I recently read that engine misfires can infact damage the cat and might be why im smelling these exhaust like fumes.

EDIT: If you have a diagram that would be much apperciated.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, your problem could be due to engine misfiring. What year Civic and what specific CEL code was retrieved?