Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
HCF Member
Default Gauges

So, please go easy on me with this... but

I am one of those people who really like to know what's going on with their vehicle and such (like I am sure most of you)... I want to get a dual gauge pillar pod and put an a/f ratio and volt meter in. Now, I only have i/h/e so would it be pointless with just i/h/e to have the a/f ratio gauge (basically giving me a light show)? I know a wide band is said to be the way to go, but if I just want to know if i am rich/lean can't I just get a regular a/f gauge?

Also, I was thinking, would this just be pointless, seeing I really can't do anything about whether i am rich/lean? if not, what gauges are good? thanks.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Gauges

A/F gauge will basically be a light show. I actaully ask a similar question, and the only way to really tell how your A/F ratio is doing is to get a wideband. Other than that, the shortband that you are talking about isnt very accurate (i've heard the needle fluxuates alot). It would kind of be pointless, but it would look really good, and a voltmeter is always a good idea especially if you have alot of electronics or audio upgrades in your car. You dont want to burn them all out, so you can monitor it with that gauge.

For info on how to install the the dual pod, there is a DIY for it in the DIY section here on HCF. As far as wiring the gauges, they both just need 12V+, a ground, and then the voltmeter wired to whatever wire you want to monitor, and the A/F gauge wired into thewhite wire of your secondary o2 sensor.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

that's what I figured.. thanks for the info though. [sm=bananallama.gif]

Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

i say get teh triple pillar IMO becasue you usualyl can only find double pillar pods that cover up a section of the pillar instead of the whole thing and it looks kinda bad [:'(]Mill$civic did his own custom fiberlgass pillar and it looks raelly nice.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

Get an oil pressure and oil temp. Those two are very important. Forget the a/f gauge until you have tuned your car more.