Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Grinding Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Default Grinding Noise?

Okay, so i'm driving along down the road and i come to a stop... but as my car is slowing down b/c i'm braking i hear this grinding sound like something is dragging along the road. So i stop, get out, take a look... nothing's dragging. So i take a test drive and realize that as soon as I set my foot on the brake petal i hear the grinding noise. i'm assuming it the brake rotors need to be polished or something? good thing i'm taking that automotive class. we're getting into brakes,steering, and suspension next week. couldn't have been a more perfect time. LOL. but i honestly want yalls opinion.... what could it be?

-B

Old 03-05-2005, 02:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Grinding Noise?

I say brakes..is it coming from fronts or rear? If so pads are down. you can check disc by feeling disc surface(when cooled off cuz hot otherwise) for grooves. Not sure how to check drums( if applicable). I am sure you know this already. Oh well.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:54 PM

yea, i read up in my car bible(Modern Automotive Technology by Duffy, it's a bible man.) and it says that the grinding noise is most likely caused by worn brake lining. the pads must be pushing up against the brakes so yea, i figure this was so, last time i got my car inspected the shop said my brake pads were worn and needed to be replaced soon. I guess that adds one more thing on my "to do" list for my car. LOL. and to answer ur question imad the grinding noise is from the front passenger brakes. so more or less i'm assuming it must be brakes.

-B

Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 PM

I had the same problem. Its your brake pads. They are worn way down so that the metal stripping on them is rubbing your disc. Your gonna need new ones. If ya got rims go with ceramic brake pads....hell of a lot less brake dust.