Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

GRR! Engine turns off while driving, radio/lights still work, garage baffled!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Angry GRR! Engine turns off while driving, radio/lights still work, garage baffled!

97 Honda Del Sol, Manual shift, standard model...

ok, twice last week I was driving and while driving, the engine just quit. No sputtering or anything. Its like someone just pulled the plug. The radio and lights are always working fine. When trying to start again, the engine will crank with no problem and sounds fine but it will not catch.

Got it towed to the shop, the engine started right up with no probs. Ran tests to find problems and they cant find a single thing wrong with it. Oh well, so I picked it up and drove home. The next day at work when going to lunch, it died on me again just before I pulled into where I was going to lunch. Got my lunch anyway, came back and it started right up but died again about 5 seconds later. Again, battery and all power seems to work fine.

Towed BACK to the shop...same thing! Its working fine for them and no problems. They even called Honda to get some suggestions from them. They recommended with the symptoms I was having, that the ignition could be going bad, the fuel pump relay could be going bad, and one other thing which I cant remember (might know it if I hear it). They ran tests on all of those items and everything is working perfectly and the engine starts right up.

Ok, picked it up and has worked fine for a week. Today while at work, I got in the car to go to lunch and it will not start!!! I dont know what to do now! All I can think is to tow it to an actual Honda garage which I know will cost me double than where I usually go but out of ideas. Scared that when they get it, it will be working again and wont find any problems and screwed out of more money with no results

Does anyone have ANY suggestions or been through this before?? The only thing I havent tried yet is jump starting it which I will try today. Just dont see that being necessary when its obvious Im getting full battery power

Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

These intermittent problems are always very hard to find. No one in the world will be able to identify the problem if it never malfunctions for them.

As you have guessed, jump starting won't help.

You are the one most likely to have the car when it won't start, so you should look for clues next time it happens. In particular look for--

*Do the red oil and battery lights on the dash come on after it dies?
*When you turn the key on but not all the way to try to start, does the yellow check engine light come on, and go out (this is what it should do)? Or does it stay on, or does it never come on at all?
*Also when you turn the key on and don't start, you should hear the fuel pump running under the back seat for the 2 seconds while the check engine light is on. You will need to be in a fairly quiet location to hear it.

Also I'm sure someone has already done this, but find the fuse boxes under the dash and under the hood next to the battery, and push all the fuses down firmly to be sure they are not loose.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

My guess would be a bad ICM in the distributor. Nonetheless, WHEN THE ENGINE WON'T START, check for spark (see Spark link in my signature) and listen for whether the fuel pump primes when the key is turned to ON(II).

Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
My guess would be a bad ICM in the distributor. Nonetheless, WHEN THE ENGINE WON'T START, check for spark (see Spark link in my signature) and listen for whether the fuel pump primes when the key is turned to ON(II).
DISTRIBUTOR!! That was the other thing Honda told them to look at which they did. Said it all checked out ok

Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
These intermittent problems are always very hard to find. No one in the world will be able to identify the problem if it never malfunctions for them.

As you have guessed, jump starting won't help.

You are the one most likely to have the car when it won't start, so you should look for clues next time it happens. In particular look for--

*Do the red oil and battery lights on the dash come on after it dies?
*When you turn the key on but not all the way to try to start, does the yellow check engine light come on, and go out (this is what it should do)? Or does it stay on, or does it never come on at all?
*Also when you turn the key on and don't start, you should hear the fuel pump running under the back seat for the 2 seconds while the check engine light is on. You will need to be in a fairly quiet location to hear it.

Also I'm sure someone has already done this, but find the fuse boxes under the dash and under the hood next to the battery, and push all the fuses down firmly to be sure they are not loose.
When I put the key in and turned it, i got my check engine, oil and battery lights. After turning the key and releasing, all the lights go off and then just the oil light comes on. I tried to listen for something behind the seat but really not sure if I heard anything or not. Everything sounded as it always has for the years Ive had it

Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by kellyjaye
DISTRIBUTOR!! That was the other thing Honda told them to look at which they did. Said it all checked out ok
Be careful. As mentioned by mk378, intermittent problems are very very tricky. If your mechanics happened to check the distributor when it was not acting up, then they would incorrectly conclude that the distributor was fine. Tests are reliable ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE WON'T START.

Did they replace the distributor?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

... all the lights go off and then just the oil light comes on.
The oil pressure light should not remain on when the engine is running.

Last edited by RonJ; 06-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Be careful. As mentioned by mk378, intermittent problems are very very tricky. If your mechanics happened to check the distributor when it was not acting up, then they would incorrectly conclude that the distributor was fine. Tests are reliable ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE WON'T START.

Did they replace the distributor?
I know, thats the problem im running into. When the shop gets my car, it works fine and has the last 2 times Ive taken it in and all the tests say that as well. I dont know whats causing it to break down so I cant tell them that either, its happened twice while driving and twice while parked. Its broke down again now and i really dont know what to do unless there is such thing as a mobile mechanic with computers and all that. Im just clueless as what to do. Right now all I can think is have it towed to a Honda dealer :-(

Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM

The oil pressure light should not remain on when the car when the engine is running.
Its not, the engine never catches. When I release the key, the oil light comes back on just like it does when you put the key in and turn it half way.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Its not, the engine never catches. When I release the key, the oil light comes back on just like it does when you put the key in and turn it half way.
okay...

Quick Reply: GRR! Engine turns off while driving, radio/lights still work, garage baffled!