Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guages Don't Work and No Signals

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Default Guages Don't Work and No Signals

I have acquired a 94 Civic CX. The turn signals do not work (but the hazards do) and the guages do not (but the dash lights work as they should and the idiot lights come on with the turn of the ignition). I have checked the fuses, replaced the switch, the relay, and the cluster to no avail. Headlights and parking lights work as they should and no problems when the hazards are enabled.
Any ideas ???

Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Probably the problem with the signals is the hazard light button, as you seem to have replaced everything else. The regular signal circuit also passes through the hazard button, and if that circuit isn't closing they won't work.

On the gauges, look for modified wiring, check the ground behind the cluster. I think the gauges and "idiot lights" are powered from the same source, so you should have power. Go under the hood and unplug the temperature sender (which is screwed into the end of the head, the one with one wire), and ground the wire. The temperature gauge should now go all the way up to hot when you turn the key on. If it does, the sender is bad or there's a problem with the thermostat causing the engine to never actually warm up. You can do the same thing with the gas gauge, the wiring is under the back seat.