Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head gasket problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Default Head gasket problems

Just pulled the head off the 1994 civic 1.5l. Ran into a problem im not to sure if i can fix. the head bolt right above the oil presure sensor is screwed... Looks like someone done some engine work on this car with fresh pistons and lower block work and when they put things back togeater they crossed this bolt... same spot where the head gasket was leaking... I was able to take another old bolt and run it in and out a few times but dont think thier will be enough threds for tourque... Is it possible to coil this and hold or is this block screwed?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:42 AM

you have no other choice but try the new bolt and hope for the best, however you can tighten the two bolt on each side slightly tighter!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 AM

how much tighter you figure? What about thred lock on that bolt hole if i can get it to tourque? first time i have run into this... Wasent expecting this when i bought the car i knew bad head gasket... but x threaded bolt go figure eh..hehe

Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 AM

A- you have to be apatient.
b- first insert the bolt try it to the last thread and see if it plays a lot or not, just because the thread has gone on the bolt that does not necessary mean the thread inside the block gone.
c- this is a extra option/ in plumbing there is special stuff (they look like large woolly thread in brown colour) that they use it for tightening and sealing large pipes threads, if there is a plumbing shop near your place it is worth spending and try this. when you have bought small amount of it with the spacial paste you rub the paste and and then that woolly stuff around the bolt thread before inserting.
d-before you put the head gasket you must apply silicon sealant to both sides of the head gasket.
e- i would increase the torque on each side first by 3 n/m and then if it can take another 2N/M in total 5n/m.
and finally you make sure you tighten to the correct torque. good luck

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I'd try to helicoil it. I also wonder how someone manages to crossthread a head bolt. They really should require a license to buy an impact wrench.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 AM

good to know didnt know about the silicon thanks

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
I'd try to helicoil it. I also wonder how someone manages to crossthread a head bolt. They really should require a license to buy an impact wrench.
Ya not sure how they managed that... they had to know when they put it in and it probably leaked right from teh day they did it as they would have never got that bolt even close to tourque. Even the spark plug above that bolt was a pain to get out but it didnt look cross threded ill run a tap through it to clean it out that sparkplug hole was filled with oil so i figured the sparkplug wasnt all teh way in. Once i clean up the head i have to check and see if its strait. I have a funny feeling it might be out because that bold wasnt tourqued. Im going to try the sugestion above and if that seems good then im going to put the head on and test to see if i can get that bolt to tourque... If it will toruque i will put it all back togeater and put some locktight on that one for some extra hold... If not then i will helicoil it actually their is a better product but cant remember teh name of it right now came recomended over heli coils

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Actually just found what i was looking for... Timesert they actually make a kit for honda repair
http://www.timesert.com/html/honda.html

Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Well took a while for its first test drive but she held togeater nice... put about a 100 k on her and everything looks good and tight...