Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hearing noises, and it "stutters"

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Hearing noises, and it "stutters"

Hello all

Lately I've noticed a couple of things and I need to know which direction to take in rectifying whatever possible problems exist. I want to get some ideas before I have someone look at it and get ideas to rip me off. I like to be "informed" at least a little bit

Knocking noise: I hear a knocking noise when I'm driving slow, in the 20mph range. It seems louder when I'm drivin on smoother surface, like in a parking lot. When I apply the brake I may get one more loud knock and the noise goes away. I removed one of the tires and the brake pads are good, I have months left on those. The reason I checked because sometimes it sounded like I was on metal. (I checked only the driver side). I"m used to bad CV joints actually "clicking" like my last Civic did (which was a 96), could this be CV joints now? It's never terribly loud, but the tempo of the knock is dependent on the speed.

Stuttering: alot of times when I accelerate, I'll get a stutter, i think between second and third gear. I guess you can say the stutter is like a momentary loss of power. It never acts like the car is about to cut off or anything, but does act like the loss of power. When I had that problem in my Saturn, i had to replace the CPS. Does my Civic have this?