Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heat Sensor's Going Crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Default Heat Sensor's Going Crazy!

Ok, so I just got my radiator fixed, no problems with overheating and leaking. But a new problem, THE HEAT SENSOR IS GOING CRAZY!!! The other day, I was driving home and suddenly the AC stopped cooling (felt like just the blower was on) and when I checked the heat, it was all the way up (on the H of the guage). I stopped at a gas station close by and checked under the hood. I was expecting that it was an overheat and smoke would come out of the bay... But to my surprise, everything was fine. I checked of the rad cap was hot, but it wasn't... Just warm. After letting it cool for about 5 mins, I checked the water, it was missing about 1 1/2 liters... After putting water in, everything was back to normal, including AC. Yesterday's trip was even weirder... The temp guage was dancing from H to normal everytime I would would be going a little fast. What the **** is wrong with my car? [:@]

Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Default RE: Heat Sensor's Going Crazy!

hey i'm new here but you have air in your coolant system.
One day when you have time take off ur radiator cap, run the car with the heat on and keep adding coolant until the car is at normal operating temp and the heat is working fine.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks Mike1ch. The car is at our Honda Service Center Right now. Will recommend what you said. Will probably have their findings today...

Old 10-21-2006, 05:49 AM

Got the results back from Honda. Leak test was negative, air in the cooling system was negative, all sensors and related components are all good. My car has got the mechanics down at Honda baffled. Is the some sort of fuse or electrical connection to my heat guage that needs repair or replacing? Pls help...

Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

sounds like the wiring to (from) the temp guage is going bad

Old 10-22-2006, 11:21 PM

I'll have them check it out. I just found out that I'm missing my thermostat... Wonder if it'll help.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 AM
HCF Member

haha, no thermostat?

Old 10-23-2006, 08:57 AM

I know it sounds weird, right? I got it second hand for a pretty good price... I'm from the Philippines, and I heard from a friend that local mechanics remove the thermostat and short the heat sensor so the water flows upons engine startup. The reason being the really warm weather we have here... Just recently I got my heat sensor replaced and got my radiator fixed. This is where the problem arose. The guys at Honda did a step-by-step assesment of my car, and when they got to checking the thermostat, they were surprised to find that it wasn't there.[:@] That's why they think that installing one will fix my dancing guages... Hope it does because it's my only means of transportation...