Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP!! my 01 isnt passing SMOG

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
HCF Member
Default HELP!! my 01 isnt passing SMOG

After failing my smog check on my 01 civic dx w/ 143k mi, i looked over the form and saw that i failed for dirty emissions for NOx, and the other areas passed but were kinda high. The HC measured 27-28 , CO were .18-.17. BUT, i also FAILED the ECS Air Injection test. I looked all over the engine without removing anything for how the emission system is set up on this car without figuring out much other than the cat is attached to the header with an O2 sensor before n after the cat. Ive been trying to find info on this problem and i guess a lot of cars have what is called a "smog pump". I have no idea if this car has one or if it even recycles air back into the exhaust.
Also a few things I've noticed while driving the car is that on most start ups(as well as randoms times on the road, mostly when i come to stop and am idling) ill hear a squeals whirring whine that sounds like bad belt, but I know its not the belts cause i changed em all at 120k mi, and have since tensioned multiple times to try to stop the squeal. I can usually give the engine a little rev and the squeal will cease, but intermitently start up again. when the engines warm i have to give it a pretty hard rev to cut the sound temporarily again.
On the road when i intentionally bog the engine or like go up a hill at ~25mph in 4th or 5th gear and floor the gas, i hear a similiar squeal to the other sound i usually hear after starting(except it is not a nonstop squeal, but rather right a sqealing machine gun sputtering).
Any advice, diagrams, pictures, etc that could help me fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

I've been doing some research and it seems that i might have a problem involving an engine vacuum leak and/or an EGR valve issue. I have not been able to find any diagrams showing the location of the EGR valve and ive looked around the engine bay a bunch with no luck. Any one know how to find a leak in the vacuum as well as locate the egr valve?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The EGR valve is the big round plastic thing on the top of the engine / intake manifold at the transmission end. Remove it and clean the passages underneath. Also take the fuel rail (with injectors) off so you can take the plate off of the top of the manifold and clean the rest of the EGR passages.