Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help with a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Lightbulb help with a turbo

im looking in to buying a honda civic del sol with this
1993 Honda Civic Del Sol Si
-5 speed LSD transmission
-Skunk2 Intake Manifold
-GodSpeed Exhaust Manifold
-TD05 16g Turbo - 15 PSI
-Greddy BOV
-Tial Wastegate
-Intercooled
-Ebay Special Catch Can
but the seller is telling me that the catch can is smoking, so what can cause this? and is it an easy fir or is it a pain in the but? ive never had a turbo car before but have always wanted one. any info would be great thanks..

Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Smoking catch can would be an indirect sign of worn piston rings since excessive blow by is occurring I would guess. The catch can is there to "catch" any oil vapors which would have normally circulated back into your intake potentially clogging up your intercooler piping or intercooler and anything else (Intake manifold).

I would suggest to do a compression test on the motor if possible. The only other thing I can think of would be that an oil line is dripping onto a very hot surface, and burning off, making it look like the catch can is smoking. Or the catch can is leaking onto a hot surface, too. However, these situations would be less likely to happen.

What is the car tuned on? What injectors are being used? Fuel pump? Clutch?

Usually, buying someone's project is a bad idea since you have no idea where corners were cut. If you start out with a relatively stock car, and buy all the parts yourself, you know that quality parts are installed and you know they will not fail.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 PM

alright thanks for the advice.