Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

honda girl needs help with smokey exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Default honda girl needs help with smokey exhaust issue

i have a 94 civic ex vtec. i had a jdm d-15b put into it. its runs pretty well but ive noticed that when i rev the car blueish smoke comes out from around the heaher cover and out of the exhaust pipe. it always leaves a lot of black soot up the back of the car. i was told it may be the rings(which is not a good thing)...would engine honey help anything????any suggestions?? its so annoying. smog time is coming up and i need to find out how to fix it before i gotta give up on it......help!!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Blue smoke indicates oil is burning in the cylinders. You should compression test the cylinders to pinpoint the source of the oil, which could be due to bad piston rings, a bad head gasket, or bad valve seals.

Is the blue smoke from the header due to oil dripping on the header exterior or an exhaust leak from the header gasket?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM

uhg!! sounds painfully expendsive. its most likely the darn rings or valve seals. i dont lose any water so i dont think its the head gasket. thanks for your help.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by meancee
Blue smoke indicates oil is burning in the cylinders.
Is the blue smoke from the header due to oil dripping on the header exterior or an exhaust leak from the header gasket?....hope its not too late
^^ Wow, did you think of that all by yourself Meancee? I would have never thought that you just randomly copied the first and last sentence from someone else's post. Damn, you must be one smart cookie.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM

The biggest part of installation of the other engine is whether or not it was a known good engine before or was it rebuilt, and if so was it rebuilt correctly. And I would say pretty much a copy and paste?? Start where Ron J stated with the compression/leak down test...maybe you just have a special smoke screen Bond car...jk...