Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Horn doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Default Horn doesn't work

A couple of months ago, I used my horn for the first time since the wreck. It worked for a second, then died. It used do that little honk when I locked it using the keyless entry. Now it wrong work at all. The under hood fuse is good. Any ideas? I want the thing to work again because I need to be able to inform other drivers that they are idiots.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

What was damaged/replaced in the accident? I'm just wondering if it's something in the connectors behind the steering wheel (if the airbag blew), or maybe a broken wire in the front of the car.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
I want the thing to work again because I need to be able to inform other drivers that they are idiots.
hahahaha, but ya, i would check the connector behind the steering wheel. Also since it came on and died maybe check the horn itself and continuity of the wires.

Just hook up 12v to the horn and see if it works.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Likely this is the horn itself but since you have to take the bumper off to reach it, check some other things first. The horn is on the same fuse as the brake lights, it's under the hood. I don't think it's the button since the alarm doesn't sound it either now.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianL
What was damaged/replaced in the accident? I'm just wondering if it's something in the connectors behind the steering wheel (if the airbag blew), or maybe a broken wire in the front of the car.
The whole front end was trashed, minus the driver's side fender.
Name:  2011-08-15_17-04-51_83.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  72.1 KB

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip
hahahaha, but ya, i would check the connector behind the steering wheel. Also since it came on and died maybe check the horn itself and continuity of the wires.

Just hook up 12v to the horn and see if it works.
The airbags didn't blow and the connector is good. Cable reel is solid.

Originally Posted by mk378
Likely this is the horn itself but since you have to take the bumper off to reach it, check some other things first. The horn is on the same fuse as the brake lights, it's under the hood. I don't think it's the button since the alarm doesn't sound it either now.
I checked the fuse under the hood and it was good. (Had continuity.) Brake lights work. It's a different horn than before because it's higher pitched than the old one was.

Strangely enough, I took the car through the car wash for the first time since the wreck and when I got home, I locked it with the keyless remote and it honked! As soon as I start to make a big deal about it, the horn gets off its lazy butt and works.

I traced wires under the hood and it turns out the plug is smashed from the wreck and it was just barely hanging on. When water got on it from the car wash, that was enough for it to be able to make contact. A strip of duct tape later, it's now on there securely (until I get to the junk yard to snag a new plug and maybe a new horn. The higher pitched part is really odd. Makes it sound even more gutless.

"meep meep!"