Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

i need help quick

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:58 PM
HCF Member
Default i need help quick

hey guys i need help so i took my car to the car wash and i saw they had an engine degreser so i sprayed out my engine compartment really good, after that on the way home it felt really boggy and it was hopping alot when in 1st like it was about to die, it runs fine now but the check engine light is still on anyone have any idea of what happend

thanks for any help
jj

Old 06-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Default RE: i need help quick

I guess you won't be making that mistake again. There are right ways and wrong ways to clean an engine bay. Your local carwash is not one of them. Although most connections are water tight, you can still short them out. It is easy to affect the ignition system with water on a gas engine. Your car was definitely misfiring, and that is probably what the ECM detected and why it set a fault code. Of course, it could be something else, but that's my guess. As you drove around, the water evaporated and everything went back to normal. Simply reset the ECM memory by pulling the "BACK UP" fuse under your hood for at least 10 seconds or disconnecting your batter for a while. Take it for a test drive, and if the light remains off, you should be ok.