Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I need your help! Code 22 - VTEC oil pressure switch - Defective circuit or unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Default I need your help! Code 22 - VTEC oil pressure switch - Defective circuit or unplugged

I had an B16A2 swap from a '00 Si in to a 97 hatchback with a 98 GSR ECU. They used my stock wiring harness and just added the necessary wiring for a VTEC swap. They had my car running but it was throwing out all kinds of codes; IAT sensor, MAP sensor and etc.... I took it back to the shop and had the wiring fixed. So, the codes was gone and my car was running good. But a week after that I was driving on the freeway and my CEL came on and it was throwing out Code22 - VTEC pressure switch. So I took it back again to the shop and they re-wired the switch ground wire directly to my engine ground and reset my ecu. I test drove it again and the CEL came back again on 5th gear @ 4,500rpm (90mph). This time they open up the whole vtec spool assembly and clean the oil screen and they gave me a new ECU. My CEL would still come on. I dont have a problem with my motor on 1st-3rd gear. 4th gear my motor will engage VTEC (4500rpm) but as soon as i hit 90mph my CEL would come and throw out Code 22. 5th gear my VTEC wont even engage as soon as I hit the VTEC point (4500rpm) my CEL would come on and throw out the same code. I've already have my VTEC pressure switch replaced, my oil pump replaced, and my ECU replaced, still having the same problem. I've talked to the guy that did my motor swap, he said its the wirings. But everytime I call him up to get my car done he never answer my calls and I left him a dozens of messages already. Can anybody give me an instructions how to check my wirings. There's nothing wrong with my wires, I've already test it with the multimeter and i have a voltage current from end to end of the wires.
Thnx a lot!!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I need your help! Code 22 - VTEC oil pressure switch - Defective circuit or unplugged

its got something to do with the gsr ecu. the 4400 rpm activation for VTEC is too low for a B16. get the si ecu and that should help.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Default RE: I need your help! Code 22 - VTEC oil pressure switch - Defective circuit or unplugged

already got the problem fixed!! thnx. for the help. turned out that my wiring was only half way inserted to the pin, there's only a little bit contact.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 PM
HCF Member

that will do it too. but that motor is gonna hate that ecu. you will get a big performance gain from the b16 ecu.