Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:33 PM
HCF Member
Default idle problems....

ok so i just changed my throttle body since the one i had on there before was tampered with and the side sensor not the map was bad. My engine is a d16z6. So here is the problem i am having instead of what i was having which was high idle from 2k -3k and then after along time it dropped down to regular idle yet sometimes when idleing high if you hit the gas it would do anything it would the best way i could explain it is it would wish to go but couldnt kept at that rpm maybe bounced a couple hundred up but dropped back down to 2k-3k.......
plus the check engine light went on when ever it was turned on

Now
It goes to 1k normal idle but then jumps to 2k then climbs to 3k and pulses between that for alittle but and then it goes down 500 then again and i shut it off when it kept pulsing between i think 1500 to 2000 i have no clue what is wrong with it but it dose not have the check engine light on now but it still idles kinda high and now does this pulsing. I got this out of a '96 honda accord lx since it was exactly like the one i had in my car previous but yea any idea of what the heck is wrong with this engine since id like to drive it while i save up $$ for a dohc engine

Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: idle problems....

So the car revs up and down buy it self?? up and down up and down up and down.....
This could be from a couple things, you might have a air bubble in your cooling system a air pocket will cause this to happen. Just open the bleeder on the water neck, its 12mm use a wrench and see if any bubbles or air comes out.make sure your thermostat is openend up for this to work.
Or it could be a bad idle air contol valve. If you try this either buy a new one, or when you buy a used one from a junk yard make sure its good or just buy a couple of them the go bad often.And you might get a bad one on your first try.
Or you could have a air leak some where you said you changed your throttle body, did you use a new gasket??
or the throttle body you put on has a bad TPS sensor.
Hope this helps some.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Start HERE

Read through that whole thread as there is useful info on later pages.

Let me know if you need help on testing the TPS or anything like that. Unlike hatch46580 said, don't just go throwing new parts at it, thats not how you fix a problem. Clean out your IACV with some carb cleaner rather than just getting a different one, etc..

Good luck man, I dealt with this b.s. for a few weeks, I know how big of a PITA it can be

Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

+1 -REASEARCH- is key...