Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

idling below normal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Default idling below normal

Hoping anyone can help with this... I have a 97 Civic CX Hatchback with NO MODS to the stock engine except for an intake. Just yesterday the check engine light came on and the idle has dropped to the point where the engine wants to stall. Driving down the highway is fine, no hesitation (yet !) but when I am sitting at a light the idle is below normal. Just wondering what might be the culprit. I should just take it to a shop to put on the computer but wanted to ask first. Thanks for any help! Jeff

Old 05-28-2005, 12:09 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: idling below normal

Maybe the throttle body has crap all around it so air can't go around the throttle plate. Maybe you want to spray some carb cleaner into the T.B.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:18 AM
HCF Member

pull the code for the CEL, then youll have an idea abou twhere to start.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:49 AM

"pull the code for the CEL"

I wish I knew what to "pull" -- lol. I am able to do a few things here and there but I am not sure how to go about doing what you suggested. Help? Is there a way to do this without going to a shop... maybe I need one of those handheld thingys? LOL... I am probably cracking all of you up... (I am amused myself but I am willing to learn what to do.) I just checked the air filter and throttle body. The filter was just replaced last week. The vac hoses appear to be in good shape. Could it be the PCV valve? ...Jeff

Old 05-28-2005, 05:33 PM

there is a pcv valve. and yes that can cause the engine to do that . it runs fine when your on the throttle? right? EDIT: If i recall correctly, someone on another post asked where it is and got a relpy of, "it's a PITA (pain in the...) to get to. Good Luck!!!!

Old 05-28-2005, 05:55 PM

Well, I went over to Autozone and borrowed a scanner (for free, can you believe that?) -- it came back as an O2 sensor problem (#1 top of manifold) so I had to buy a Bosch part for $80 and "rent" a O2 sensor wrench to remove it properly. I took it all home and popped in the new sensor. I disconnected the negative terminal for 15 mins and then reconnected -- the light went out and so far the idle is back to normal. One of the guys at Autozone recommended I purchase a new fuel filter so I did but I couldn't get the old one out -- that sucks. I couldn't loosen it from the fuel line that runs from the bottom of the filter and was afraid that if I wrenched on it too much I'd end up bending or even breaking something. Even without replacing the fuel filter it seems like the idle problem is fixed (man, I hope so!) And yes Super Mario.. that PCV valve IS a PITA! It's under the throttle body and seems to be accessible from the bottom where the oil filter is. Thanks (you all) for the help and I'll be sure to post any more questions I have real soon... ...Jeff