Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition Cyllinder Problem. Please help! 98 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Default Ignition Cyllinder Problem. Please help! 98 Civic

The ignition cyllinder It has been tricky with the key moving it from off position to start since i bought it. To the point i wouldnt trust anyone else to use the key. Like you have to push the key in JUST so to get it in the right position to start

the last 2 or 3 times ive started the car it's take the engine longer than usual to start. I just drove to work, the engine took a second to start. when i parked and tried to take the key out, by turning it to off position as usual, it wouldnt turn,.. it doesnt get to off position. i realized that the only place the key would come out is in the accesory position. so then i tried to start it, iot wont start because key wont do the full turn. and also can't take car to off either. I dont know w=hat to do. it's like the cylinder is off the track, so that it thinks its in the wrong position. My friend was telling me it just needed a jump, but its not a battery issue. ?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Manual or automatic? If automatic, there is an interlock so you can't turn the key to off unless the transmission is in Park. But it sounds like the cylinder is just jammed up and you need to replace it. You can take the column covers off, remove the ignition switch from the other side of the cylinder, then rotate the switch core with a screwdriver to start / stop the engine. Be sure of course that the column is going to stay unlocked before driving.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM

:eft it in park!!!