Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition problems

Old 10-26-2004, 08:11 AM
HCF Member
Default Ignition problems

Hi All, Heres the story, I have a 1.6 esi uk civic sallon and at the weekend one of the spark plugs found its way out of the engine and spat out of the head shattering the ht lead (plug probably was'nt tightened when I bought the car and I'm a lazy bugger and dint check it), called out the aa recovery service and the guy bodged a lead on the engine which was a different size and whilst trying to get it home a very strange thing happened. There are three points on the ignition and none of them turn the electrics on, the only way to keep the engine running is to keep the key slightly turned just before the the starter motor kicks in. I thought it might have something to do with the dodgy lead that the guy fitted shorting a fuse out but they are all fine. Any Ideas?, I'm going to put a new ht lead on but then if the ignition does'nt correct itself I'm clueless. One of my friends said it might be a relay.