Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Installing Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:40 PM
HCF Member
Default Installing Air Conditioning

I'm lookin' to put an AirCon system into my '96 CX (base model) and was wondering if it would be a direct drop-in from another honda AirCon unit? I have an HX that has A/C that I can swap in, if so. Has anyone here done it and what do you think the "skill rating" would be on this? Cuz OMG, I can live with no Power Steering and no Power Windows, but D*MN, I can't handle no A/C!!! Thanks!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Installing Air Conditioning

taking it off was really easy, I can't imagine putting it on would be any harder

Old 07-31-2006, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

Any idea where I might find some kind of guide, DIY, or any info whatsoever to take it out? Or did you just take out anything hooked to the A/C itself? My Haynes manual WILL NOT show it because it "venting refrigerant to the atmosphere is dangerous/illegal and should only be accomplished by a qualified professional".

Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Yeah, I forgot about that part.. It's really straight forward except for releasing the refridgerant or whatever. And you do not want to be anywhere near it when you do pop it. What we did was loosen up the release, tied a string to it, and pulled the string from about 10 feet away. It will shoot everywhere! BEFORE releasing, make sure you have secured everything. By that I mean tie all the hoses to something sturdy so that they don't flail all over the place. Also do all of this outside, we did it in my garage and it stunk for an hour....not to mention the taste [:'(]

recap

1 - Tie all hoses to something sturdy so they don't flail
2 - Tie a string to the release point
3 - Loosen nut on release point
4 - stand a good distance away and pull the string to release refridgerant
5 - then remove the rest from there.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

Okay, now how do you RECHARGE it with all that pressure? With a ton of those recharge kits? I know you took it off not on, but what do you think? Or anyone else?

Old 08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I assume that you would have to take it to a shop that actually does recharging. Stealerships can do it, but it'd probably cost an arm and a leg. Just call around

Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
HCF Member

well when you start , you dont have all that pressure.
think i saw harbor (china) freight with a unit that was cheap to take the pressure down below atmospheric pressure.
think the pressure is taken down to zero before filling.
good luck

Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

well when you start , you dont have all that pressure.
think i saw harbor (china) freight with a unit that was cheap to take the pressure down below atmospheric pressure.
think the pressure is taken down to zero before filling.
good luck
??????? What? I mean, after I lose all the pressure from the system that Forty is talking about, what do I do to refill and build that pressure back up? I really don't know what you're getting at fglaustin...Sorry!

Old 08-03-2006, 06:13 AM

Try calling around to shops. I took my old celica to a firestone shop and they evacuated my system for no charge.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
HCF Member

Before you recharge the A/C you will want to put the A/C under a vacuum to get all the water and contaminants out of the system. After you put it under a vacuum you can recharge the A/C. You can use the cans that you buy at autozone. You would prolly only need one can of refrigerant and one can of oil. Even better would be to find the can with both.

Quick Reply: Installing Air Conditioning