Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Installing Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Installing Air Conditioning

Agent pretty well has it right.
guess you thought i was crazy

Any instrument that measures air pressure is called a barometer. The first measurement of atmospheric pressure began with a simple experiment performed by Evangelista Torricelli in 1643. In his experiment, Torricelli immersed a tube, sealed at one end, into a container of mercury (see Figure 7d-2 below). Atmospheric pressure then forced the mercury up into the tube to a level that was considerably higher than the mercury in the container.

As an example, consider a "unit area" of 1 square inch. At sea level, the weight of the air above this unit area would (on average) weigh 14.7 pounds! That means pressure applied by this air on the unit area would be 14.7 pounds per square inch. Meteorologists use a metric unit for pressure called a millibar and the average pressure at sea level is 1013.25 millibars.

two cut copy and paste above. so, when your ac is to be filled, the pressure (since it is open to the atmosphere is 14.7) is taken from about 14.7 down to 0. there is a vacuum type machine that is used to pull the pressure down to 0. then the freon (r134a) in put into it.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

Okay, here's an afterthought....Before I do this all by myself.....Is there a DIY somewhere that anyone knows about?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

Alright guys...here's an update...

I got the condensor, some of the lines, and the "radiator-lookin'" thing (can't remember the name at the moment) out of the old car. I still have to remove the belt (gotta remove the P/S belt 'cuz the A/C belt is stuck behind it), the larger line that runs to the interior, and all the interior stuff. It took me about 2.5 hours so far (cuz it's my first time, I decided to take it slow...) And I didn't have to worry about it all spraying in my face...there are two valves on top, kinda like bike tire poppet valves...and I used a screwdriver with a towel wrapped around the valves to depressurize the system ;?)

I got a little more info from Honda-Tech.com here: (Partial Air Conditioning Removal Tech Article) And here's a link to the DIY recharging of A/C once I get done reinstalling: (Air Con Recharge DIY)

And here's a pic of me workin' in my ghetto workshop (i.e. the dorm parking lot!)...

Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 PM

So running the AC into the car is coming along alright with no venting problems? how do you plan to be able to turn on the AC? are you going to swtich your console over from your HX and all the wiring? go more in depth on it cuz id like to AC my DX too..

ORIGINAL: skytanker2003

Alright guys...here's an update...

I got the condensor, some of the lines, and the "radiator-lookin'" thing (can't remember the name at the moment). I still have to remove the belt (gotta remove the P/S belt 'cuz the A/C belt is stuck behind it), the larger line that runs to the interior, and all the interior stuff. It took me about 2.5 hours so far (cuz it's my first time, I decided to take it slow...) And I didn't have to worry about it all spraying in my face...there are two valves on top, kinda like bike tire poppet valves...and I used those to depressurize the system ;?)

I got a little more info from Honda-Tech.com here: (Partial Air Conditioning Removal Tech Article) And here's a link to the DIY recharging of A/C once I get done reinstalling: (Air Con Recharge DIY)

And here's a pic of me workin' in my ghetto workshop (i.e. the dorm parking lot!)...

Old 09-14-2006, 05:45 AM
HCF Member

Well, I haven't gotten to the install yet...I'm only halfway done pulling everything out. But I don't see a problem reinstalling everything from the HX into the CX cuz the CX has all the holes to drop everything back in and bolt holes for the condensor and everything so all I have to do is drop it in. The only thing I'm gonna have trouble with is recharging the system...but the DIY I found (the second link in my last post) will pretty much walk you through the recharging! Other than that, I don't forsee any problems (although, now I just jinxed myself, so we'll see how it goes...hahahaha!!!) I'll try and do a DIY that incorporates the info from honda-tech too for people who want to do this after me! No estimate on when it gets done cuz I can only work on it a few hours a day though!!! Keep ya updated on progress tho!!!

Old 09-17-2006, 03:27 AM

Recharge wont hurt you thats the easiest part, buy a kit that has instructions or have an ACdelco do it for you, its not hard at all, i think ur biggest problem would be switing over the controls, once your to recharge stage which is last stage ur in the clear.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 AM
HCF Member

dont forget to replace the o-ring seal on the lines & drip a little refrigerent oil on them to help them slide in - & remember to add about 1 1/2 - 3 oz of oil to the system when you recharge it

Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, the recharge won't be a prob, I agree with you there. But I've taken out the whole dash many times, so I've got the removing the console part down, and splicing in the A/C won't be a big feat.

About the oil though...I haven't run into any oil lines yet, but I'll get pics the next time I work on it and figure out where the oil goes!!! Thanks for da feedback ev'ryone!!!

Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

as far as refrigerant oil......there are refrigerants you can buy with oil already in them which is what i used when i installed ac on my crx. i however did not pull a vacuum which i highly recomend doing in the firsst place. when your recharging, low side pressure when full should be 25-45 psi along with a high side of 2.5x the ambient temps.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 PM
HCF Member

A'ight! I got ALL of the stuff out from under da hood of my parts car and most of it back under the hood of my project car (i.e. the radiator-thingy, piping dudads, and bolts and doohickies) *please excuse the spelling* Hahaha!!! No, but really, I got most of it in the new car and have only run into one major problem. Just wondering if you guys can tell me what the mounting is for under the car in these pics...I need to unbolt it to put in a new A/C belt and don't know how without the engine or something else heavy fallin' on me, ya know? I'm takin' pics throughout the install for a DIY, but it's still gonna be a lil bit til it's done. So....if anyone knows how to safely unbolt and remove the mount to replace the belt (and lemme know what the mount is, too!) I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Installing Air Conditioning