Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Key Getting Stuck in Ignition in My 98 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Default Key Getting Stuck in Ignition in My 98 Honda Civic

It happens when I try to park the car and try to shut it down completely. Does anyone faced a similar problem and was able to resolve it. Please advise

Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Key Getting Stuck in Ignition in My 98 Honda Civic

manual or automatic

Old 08-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Its an automatic. Also if someone has any idea that how much would it cost (in USD) to fix this problem.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

well, i just kind-of asked because i got a neighbor's car and he left the state and wanted me to get it up and running and it does have that same kind -of toughness as far as getting the key out. it is an automantic and a 95 ford crown victoria.
dont know the problem - but just thought of the best (cheap) try is to buy a tube of graphite and put it on both sides of the key and stick it in and work it.
Do NOT use any liquid (spray) stuff. that is never to be used on locks. ONLY graphite.

if is does not fix it, think you need to replace the lock.

good luck

Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM

I found the following information regarding this problem I hope it will help. As per the problem description below, can someone tell me that how would it cost ( in USD)to fix the problem.?

Please and thanks.

__________________________________________________ _-

Honda mechanic deduced that the car was in park, but not seeing that it was in park, and thereby not releasing the key. He called Honda Tech support and they had him take apart the entire drive shift console where my automatic EX Civic-coupe switches from drive to park. After many hours he called me in and pointed out the rare problem: there was a bad molding on the divits for the shift handle. A bump, where the shift handle is supposed to slide into park. If you gently put the car in park it won't get past the bump and the car will think you're in drive. (And you think you're in park because the shift handle is all the way forward.) If you slam the shift handle into park, you get by the bumb every time. Needless to say he sanded off the excess bump on the shift level and the car is fixed. He
said he hasn't encountered this problem ever before, but my Honda service advisor, Brook, said that he got a few memos on something similar happening on different Hondas in years past.. but it was still a rare problem.

I hope this isn't happening to anyone else's new Honda, but if you've
read this update, you now know what to do!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 PM

crack that bitch up stick a crowbar on top of it n lean til it breaks n jus start it wit a screwdriver lmao try it it works

Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: jdmhatchy

crack that bitch up stick a crowbar on top of it n lean til it breaks n jus start it wit a screwdriver lmao try it it works
Wow, that is probably the stupidest advice that I have ever heard/read.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

On the two hondas ive owned you have to kinda push the key in and twist it back out. Also you might wanna try wigling the steering wheel left to right if it doesnt come out

Old 06-12-2008, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

yeah make sure you are pushing it in and then twisting it back and then pull and if it is not that you are doing it wrong use some graphite, that works really good. and if you still can not get it, go get a copy of your key and see if that one works better, if it is the same situation with not fitting take a file and file down every part a little bit, leaving the same pattern but a little smaller with the copy so you dont ruin your stock one. if that is the problem and if you find the replacement one is better after filing it do it to your stock one.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Automatics do have the electrical interlock system as decribed. Shifter handle must be detected as in park to allow the key to be turned all the way to full lock and removed.