Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Knocking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Default Knocking Sound

So this weird knocking sound started in my car about a week ago. I know it's not coming from the engine. I think it is coming from the wheel or axel, but I don't see anything when I look down there.
I think it is from the wheel because the sound increases when I go faster. When I brake, turn, or accelerate the noise goes away. It comes back when I let the car coast or put it in neutral.
I have no idea why this started the only thing I can think of is that my brother curbed my car, but that was like a month ago. But maybe it bent something?
Thanks, I will post a video of it when I get a chance.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

i could be something as simple as the wheel weight fell off or it sounds like it is most likely a bad wheel bearing. you can check the bearing by jacking the car up onto jack stands and grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel and rocking it back and forth if there is any vertical movement its a bad bearing. other things to check would be lug nuts,lower control arm bushings and ball joints.