Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

when turning steering wheel there is knocking sound under car, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Default when turning steering wheel there is knocking sound under car, normal?

I have a 2008 honda civic SI sedan. and when my car is cold and i turn the steering wheel to full lock in one direction then turn in the opposite direction (ie. backing off a parking lot) i hear a loud "knocking" sound under the car. The sound comes from under the floor and not the engine bay. When the car is warm the sound is not so present but there is still a faint knocking sound. So my question is this normal??? if so why does this happens ? is this something i should be worried about ??? because the car is brand new it has 1k miles .... so i dont see how it could be any problem. or am i wrong ?
if i turn the steering wheel slowly when getting off a parking spot it doesnt make the same noise.....
thanks all

thanks all

Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Doesn't sound normal to me. Possibly an axle problem. I would take the car to the dealership for warranty service.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 AM

going to the dealer tomorrow..... ill keep you guys posted

thanks for all the help... hopefully it is nothing serious ...

wish me good luck !

Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

unfortunately, something systematic is wrong with this new generation of civics as you are not the first to post issues with brand new cars...sad

Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 PM

it seems like the problem is with the axle shaft, the CV axle shaft on the right. he said it was a little loos, when it was not supposed to ...
but since is under warranty they are going to change no cost to me ....

would you have any idea as of why this is happening ????

the tech guy said it is probably a manufacture defect. but he also told it could happen when doing lots of burnout ...
but i have to say i did one burn out at about 900miles because i wanted to see how the vsa would work.... so because of the vsa it was barely a burnout at all, almost no wheel spin. and i thought that a burnout caused stress on the transmission and clutch and not the axle .... so which one you guys think it was ???

thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 AM

well i went there in the morning and got the driver side axle cv replaced i was happy that it wasnt going to cost me a penny. but when i went home the popping sound was still there it seemed even louder.... so i went back to the dealer and the guy said "oh this is definitely not normal" so he took it back and all he did was check all the bolts, make sure everything was well tightened and after that no more knocking sound under the car, I think i stay 10 minutes at the dealer turning the steering wheel (practicing my parking) and no sound at all, it even felt more "tighter" .....
it probably was a manufacture defect. But the tech said that hard shifting could also make this happen,(ie: when we put a lot of force on the shifter to try to make a faster change in gear) do you think this could be make a problem??? i definitely thought that hard shifting would affect the transmission and not the axle cv !!!

well anyways thanks for the help from everyone, lets see how this week goes by....

later