Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Limp Mode/Wont Start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Default Limp Mode/Wont Start?

I have a 1993 Civic Si that has been in limp mode ever since it overheated a few months ago. I just recently learned about this mode and it explains why the car can't rev above 3500 rpm. I was following instructions on how to reset the ECU to bring it out of limp mode so I could test v-tec, I unplugged the battery and ECU and I put them back together, now it won't start. It had been having trouble starting before and would take a few tries to start up.

When I turn the key I hear a whirring of fans, the lights on the dash light up but there is no sound coming from the starter. No trying to turn over, just silence.

So today I read up on the problem, heard that it was probably an issue with the starter solenoid because if the starter wasn't working the solenoid would still make a clicking sound (which it isn't making). So I go to AutoZone and pay $80 for a new solenoid, spend an hour and a half trying to put it in, and when everything was put back in its place... Same issue, no sound, doesn't start.

Help Please?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:10 AM

Did u ever find anything to help w/ the limp mode issue?.. I got a few ideas, if your still hunting for options..