Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Losing fire in one cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Default Losing fire in one cyl.

My 98 EX Has a miss in one cyl when warmed up. Idles fine, runs up fine in neutral if cold. Starts to miss in appx 5 mi. of normal driving. Rhythmic miss under accelleration, but unnoticeable when crusing at 35 mph and above. Pulled each plug wire while running and each one affects idle equally. Gapped plugs (.040), no effect, Ran injector cleaner thru, No effect. Cleaned throttle body, no effect. Closely observed wires in pitch blackness, no stray sparks. Car has 221,000 mi on it. Always ran like a dream, just started acting up 3 days ago. Timing belt is 30,000 mi old. Any ideas deeply appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-16-2006, 12:18 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Losing fire in one cyl.

Do you know if the misfire is in any one cylinder? That sounds like a strange problem since your car runs fine for a certain amount of time and then later it gives you problem. If you have the car in neutral, and you hit the gas does the car misfire as well?

Old 04-16-2006, 04:16 AM

Hello, Agent. I can only assume a single cyl. since it it is so rhymic and consistant. I would think that more than one or various cyls. would produce an uneven studder of some kind with associated jerking. It is even and smooth with the expected loss of HP and torque. Before it warms up there is no hint of a problem either in driving or revving in neutral. I hate to start the ol' "just keep replacing parts till it works " passion play. But unless one of you can suggest some other course, I reckon I'll start w/the distributer cap and plugs today. Hate to get greasy on Easter but the ol'lady (ol' men are allowed to say that}, has to take a 20 mi. jaunt Monday. I haven't checked yet but I'm sure the mileage is down the tubes also.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

on a 98 if you had a misfire the check engine light would be on ----is it on?

Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Default RE: Losing fire in one cyl./dune buggy feasibility?

Hello, Good news, I got it. Took off the Dist. cap and found corrosion and trace to cyl 3. Need to get a new cap but, being Easter, no-one open today. Clean'd it all up and li'l puppy is sharp as a rally car again. Thanks for the attn. You have a great forum here, lot of good people, I'll check back often. Oh, The check engine light never came on, in fact I've never seen it on as far as I can remember, mayhaps it is burnt out. Its my wife's car and I seldom drive it. I assume it should illuminate w/ the key sw.
I have had five Hondas so far (thus the 5x) and 2 right now, the 98 and an old 79 beater I plan on chopping into a fishin/camping/mudding buggy this summer. Any one know if the 79 floor pan is stiff enough to support such a mod? Thanks again. Later!

Old 04-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Default RE: Losing fire in one cyl./dune buggy feasibility?

ok hey i know this off subject but by any chance do you have a d16y8 distributor thanks