Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LOST VTEC POWER???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 AM
Default LOST VTEC POWER???

Hello I am just looking for some help I have got a 1999 civic coupe VTI an untill the other day engine was fine untill i tried overtaking when the engine revs got to just over 5400 rpm the vtec made the normal gutsy noise it always does only i had no more power as if the car was just a normal 1.6 without the vtec. I am just hoping its nothing to serious! engine sounds fine apart from this? An i want to sell it an get a new civic but cant really till i know how bad the problem is. Any help would be great lads...................

Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: LOST VTEC POWER???

Probably plug wires.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks ill try some plug wires......... I just went to a local garage an the fella there hadnt got a clue what it was??? He said its sounds like its either sucking air or blowing air outa somewhere dont think he could be bothered looking! anyway ill try the plug wires an get back to you..... any other help would be good..........

Old 04-27-2007, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

damn car trouble sux.. i hate that

Old 04-27-2007, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

I think we would need more information to help. Air sucking and blowing out somewhere? Was he anymore descriptive likecoming fromthe engine bay or underneath? Check your oil level, if it's low v-tec wont kick in. Prolly not ur problem but worth a check. Do you notice a noise driving it?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:48 PM

Or if you are throwing a code.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Today on the way to work i was doing about 80mph when the car started juddering an losing power an then the Malfunction indicator lamp came on, so i slowed down to just under 70 an car felt fine again but soon as i tried going faster especially going uphill over 70mph the car started juddering an slowing down, Also making them funny noises as i put my foot on the gas, noise seems to be coming from under the bonnet but its hard to tell when your going that fast!
Still havent tried new leads shop was closed by the time i got there today.
So any ideas to what the problem could be? still think its leads?

Old 04-28-2007, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

If you have a check engine light on, pull the code so you know what it is.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:03 PM

I dont think the engine hits vtec if it is throwing a code. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

What I meant to say was, I dont think the engine is capable of hitting vtec with a code present. Safety feature?

Old 04-28-2007, 05:52 PM
HCF Member

It seems like my v-tec isn't really kicking in like it used to after I reset my ECU. It idles great now, but whenthe needlegets up to 4000 rpm's it doesn't fly up to 6000rpm's like it used to. I put new NGK plug wires and plugs on it like 4-5 months ago.

Quick Reply: LOST VTEC POWER???