Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Low fuel pressure on a 1994 Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Default Low fuel pressure on a 1994 Civic?

I have a 1994 Civic that suddenly stopped working one morning. The engine turns over fine, but never catches and starts.

I can tell the fuel pump is working to at least some degree because I can hear it priming when I turn the key. However, when I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge it did not budge the needle at all. Here is a photo of how I connected up the gauge. Does it look like I am doing this wrong? I'm a bit surprised by the "0" reading.

Fuel pressure test set up

Also, I did another test for fuel pressure when I removed the pressure relief bolt on top of the fuel filter and had a friend turn the key in the ignition. I was expecting the fuel to spurt out of their like I saw in a youtube video, but instead it just flows out (see video of test I did below).

8 second Video of fuel flow from top of filter

According to my manual the pressure is supposed to be 30-38 psi.

So what do you think? Low fuel pressure, incorrect testing procedure? Would it be worth changing out the fuel pump?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:51 AM
HCF Member
Default fuel pump

I guess a pump could get weak, however, in my experience they either work or they don't. I'd take the rear seat out, take the access panel out, remove the pump from the tank and see if the pickup screen is gunked up or dirty. I take it that you replaced the fuel filter... it looks pretty new in the picture.

Ed
Dallas, Tx