Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Low idling problem when in neutral ('97 LX)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Default Low idling problem when in neutral ('97 LX)

I replaced my stock car stereoa couple days agoand now the car is idling very low when it's in neutral (eg at a stoplight). I was approaching an intersection and noticed that the road felt oddly bumpy but when I stopped, I realized it was the engine almost choking. It's at about 500 RPM right now or a little less whereas before it was more like 800 or 1500 RPM (depending on whether the A/C was on). I admit that the A/C needs to be replaced, but I didn't even use it tonight and still had the problem. But yeah, I don't see how replacing the stereo could have possibly done anything to the car. The only thing I did to the car itself during the time was disconnect the battery's negative terminal via the connection to the chassis. I then dropped that bolt down into who knows where, but I immediately found a replacement in the garage, so I know that it's shored up fine.

Really, the car drives fine, I just have no idea why all of a sudden I'm having this problem - especially after such an unrelated upgrade. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Default RE: Low idling problem when in neutral ('97 LX)

same thing for me aswell. i have no clue why. is there some kind of idle adjustment screw or something of that nature?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 PM

^^^^^

my car drives fine when giving it gas... but as soon as you pull up to a stoplight (when car is at idle) the car shakes... if you give it very little gass it goes away and as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator it comes back... also it shakes even more when the A/C is on.... (did this before and after my radio install)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 AM
HCF Member

You need to adjust the idle. Disconnect the IACV, turn the engine one, turn the adjustment screw until the idle is where you wan tit, turn the engine off, connect the IACV.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:00 AM
HCF Member

I wasn't having this problem until I installed my Torque damper.. now it sounds like my engine is gonna die once I idle. Where is the Idle Control located?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 AM

^well i too have this issue too but it started to occur when i installed I/H/E my car is so quite tht sometime i dont even know its on. but the steering wheel always shake sometime i think it due to a bad or broken engine mount. so yeah i think u guy have an bad engine mount( i think)

Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 AM
HCF Member

I shouldn't have a bad engine mount though. The one right behind my dispstick is where my Torque Damper connects, and I retightened it to proper spec.The TDis supposed to cause some extra vibration while idling, but it shouldnt affect my actual idle. It's kind of a wierd issue.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
HCF Member

The idle screw and IACV should both be located in the throttle body.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:26 AM
HCF Member

700 RPM, normal idle. My 93 Civic would occasionally go down to 500 RPM whn in D and stopping at a stop light.

My Civic shaked, rattled, and rolled at idle because...

Check your torque stoppers (they are bolted to the gearbox and the engine in the lower front), they may be dry rotted. Remember, your car is 10 years old, so bad rubber is not out of the question.