Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Maintenance for 10,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Default Maintenance for 10,000 miles?

I have a 06 LX and it has around 10,000 miles on it. I drive it around 80miles a day total on highway to work. I know nothing about car but I know I am suppose to do some maintenance on the car... But I can't find anything in the manual. The "Service history" book shows the same options on every page like oil change, air filter change, transmission fluid change and lots of stuffs. It doesn't have anything like on xx miles I am should do yy and on xxx miles I should do yyy etc. Is there a detail maintenance guide or something like that? Search on the internet showed up all different answers. I don't want to pamper the car but at the same time I want it to last as long as possible.

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Maintenance for 10,000 miles?

Just keep an eye on stuff. Oil change ever 3,000 miles.......your coolant should be good for awhile before needing attention....once you hit like 35K I would get new plugs and maybe have the tranny flushed. These things wont really NEED to be done, but theyre going to extend the life of your engine.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:11 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Maintenance for 10,000 miles?

Interesting, looks like honda stopped printing maintenance schedule in the users manual. I bashed one guy a couple of months ago for a similar question, and looks like I was wrong. Anyway, first maintenance is just an oil/filter change and tire rotation, and you do not want to do it early - here goes the quote from Honda official site:
Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
and another one (bold and italic mine):
How often should I change my oil after the first service?

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. Separate maintenance schedules are listed for "normal service" and "severe service." Read the description of severe service carefully. Most vehicles will fall under the normal service category. Note that the service intervals are listed by time in addition to distance. Your oil should be changed at whichever interval, time or distance, occurs first.

There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil.

Do not exceed the recommended maintenance interval. Oil eventually deteriorates and loses its ability to protect your engine, due to heat, friction, and exposure to exhaust components. Engine oil contains special additives to enhance the oil's performance, and these additives are also broken down or consumed with distance and time. Engine damage can occur if the proper maintenance schedule is not followed.
Go ahead and register your car with Honda at https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/user_profile.asp, they have maintenance schedule and some more stuff online.