Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

mini me swap questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
HCF Member
Question mini me swap questions?

Okay... so after much digging around on my car the best I can tell is that it's a d15b2 engine originally out of a crx (edm), its had a 92-95 z6 sohc vtec head put onto the non-vtec block and all the wiring and fuel injection appears to have been swapped over as well (I'm assuming this was all from the original z6 set up...) Was told this was considered a "mini me" swap? appears to have the stock 94 ex trany in it still...

Aftermarket ram air intake....
dc sport header, forza tuning exhaust and high flow cat converter.
(nice mellow tones, not at all the "angry bee" sound of my old 95 a decade ago)

a/c delete... p/s delete.

Anyone know anything about these type swaps? like Ive said before I had a 95 ages ago and I never really got to do anything to it, i was a young dumb broke kid and just drove the **** out of it until it was totaled in a wreck on the highway... (RIP)

Ive read that the original d15b2 set up produced around 92-98 horse power (depending on which one you want to believe... thats the area that all have agreed on so far)
what would be a "guess'timate of the horse power with this swap done?

any other info would be appreciated.
thanks.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 AM
HCF Member

every engine is different, depending on the amount of wear and tear - which may not even be equal to the mileage on the engine. An engine with 150k highway miles isn't equal to an engine with 150k city miles.

Its less than 100hp, so what does it really matter what the exact number is?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

Not overly worried about the horse power, just was wondering why someone would do the vtec swap and all the work for what seems like little to no power change from the non vtec head. guy had papers for the swap (it was done by a shop here in cincinnati) that shows 58k on the engine when it was swapped and the car had 152k (roughly). If that mileage was correct the cars got a little over 94k on the engine now. Idk, not terribly worried about mileage on it... Ive seen them run for over 200k w/out having too much trouble. It runs great, just trying to get as much info on it as I can. Thanks for the reply though.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

ah, sorry, I think I was confused by your original post.

The previous owner's reason for switching to a vtec head could have been many. Perhaps he thought the boost in power would be more noticeable? Perhaps his old head went bad and he found this one cheap? Could be anything.

Do you have any plans for it?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

well @ the moment I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the previous work that has been done to it. I've put new stock struts/springs on it bc the aftermarket ones that were on it were unadjustable and at 65 mph the tires would rub the fenders. thats no good by my standards so I raised it back up to stock height... will adjust the front down some at a later date.
As for future plans... well no clue really. I need to straighten up the body bc it's got a few nice dents (like a kick mark behind the pass side door) and some minor honda rust. If I can get the body squared away I'd like to see about a little more power if I can do it without dropping a couple of grand. (got 2 kids a wife and a house payment.... gotta be thrifty if you catch my drift lol.)
I like the set up as it is but Id like it more if I could get just a bit more out of it. Any suggestions?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

also had to add new rear control arms and bushings as the old ones had been destroyed by setting too low.