Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Help: 08 Honda Civic, makes popping noise when I turn hard to the right or left

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 AM
Default Need Help: 08 Honda Civic, makes popping noise when I turn hard to the right or left

I bought a used 08 Honda Civic and I've had it for a couple of years. It has been making this noise ever since I got it. Other than the noise, it drives great and everything, and I have no other problems.

So here is the problem. When I turn the steering wheel to the right or left, it makes a click, click, click, click, noise. It comes from the front left and right side, around the tires. In normal driving situations, it hardly makes the noise, but when I turn the wheel real hard to the right or left, it will always make this noise. It makes this noise when I back up and turn as well. But like I said, with slight turns, it won't make the noise. But there is a point where if I keep turning the steering wheel to the right or left, it will start the clicking noise always.

I plan on taking it to a mechanic or Honda dealership in the future, but I would like to see if I could fix it myself first, before I pay a professional.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Noise like that is usually from a bad CV joint. Replacement involves swapping the axle for a rebuilt one, which is not very expensive. This is in the realm of DIY repair but you may need to expand your tool collection with some large wrenches to take it apart.

You can keep driving for a while like that but eventually the joint is going to break entirely and the car will need to be towed.

Last edited by mk378; 08-30-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to try and get a video or sound recording of it and post it later.