Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help regarding repair recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Default Need help regarding repair recommendation

Hi,
I went for 90k mile service for 96 Honda Civic EX Coupe and have been recommended to do the following,

1) Distributor O-Ring is leaking Engine Oil - $65
2) Thermostat Housing Gasket is leaking coolant - $ 135
3) Oil Pan Gasket is Leaking - $336
4) Both rear trailing arm bushings broken- replace both and perform 4 wheel alignment - $638

Honda dealer mentioned that it isn't urgent, but definitely recommend doing the above. I have been driving the car for nearly a week and haven't had any problems. I am not familiar with the priority(as the dealer stated the car would run without any issues) as well as the price quote, so need some advice regarding the same,

1) What is the impact of above mentioned issue?
2) How important is it to fix all four issues immediately? OR Does some of them needs to be fixed immediately and others can be fixed a little later(Honda dealer didn't insist that these needs to be fixed right away).
3) Is the cost estimate reasonable?

I definitely want to fix them and not wait untill it breaks.

Thanks,

Shankar

Old 12-26-2007, 02:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need help regarding repair recommendation

how much oil / coolant is leaking , a few drops or puddles , if its alot you may want to fix it soon
you may want to start with the distributor o-ring & coolant leak
the oil pan issue may be because the oil leak from the dist. is leaking down on the oil pan making it look like the gasket is bad
as far as price, it depends what their hourly rate is , but it sound in the ball park , you may want to find somebody else to do it or try it your self

oh yeah keep an eye on the oil & coolant till you get it fixed

Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM

thats crazy rediculous in price... I say if you have the time and will to do it, pick up a haynes manual and do the repairs yourself - at least do what you can by yourself. It may take some time doing it yourself but you will appreciate yourself for spending a ton less to do it yourself. You'll stillwant to get the alignment done professionally though.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You should get a second opinion and estimate from an independent shop. I'd put priority on the suspension issue since that may be a sfety concern as well as causing your tires to wear rapidly. The leaks can wait as long as they're slow and you keep an eye on the fluid level. The oil pan may respond to simply retightening the bolts, if it is leaking at all and it's not just oil running down from somewhere else.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:23 AM

Thanks for your responses. I will check with an independent shop. I forgot to mention that off late having some trouble when stopping in lights, car is shaking a bit, it doesn't happen at every stop but does happen once in a while. Could it be related to one of the above issues?